Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real life MPG

Default Real life MPG

Hi,

I'm looking for information re: real life MPG for the XC60 T6. If possible, mileage from the car's mileage calculator and results the old fashioned way; paper and pencil.

Thanks

Have XC60 3.2 awd only have driven it in Sweden--still waiting for it to arrive but with over 900 miles of mostly country type driving--got 25.6mpg average. Not a lot of stop and go driving.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Real life fuel economy

I've owned my XC60 T6 AWD for 14 months and now have driven it about 35,000. Gas mileage has been much better than expected/reported (by CR). With driving about 1/3rd city and 2/3rds highway, I have routinely average around 24.5 MPG per tank (calculated by miles/gallons used, not the car's computer). And to make it even better, the XC60 uses Regular fuel!! I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60CRAZED View Post
    I've owned my XC60 T6 AWD for 14 months and now have driven it about 35,000. Gas mileage has been much better than expected/reported (by CR). With driving about 1/3rd city and 2/3rds highway, I have routinely average around 24.5 MPG per tank (calculated by miles/gallons used, not the car's computer). And to make it even better, the XC60 uses Regular fuel!! I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.
    But it would be better to use premium on turbocharged car, IMO.

Premium is optimal but a driver trying for MPG is not pushing it to the boost levels where premium is needed.

Hot weather and a fully loaded car if mountainous driving is involved is a must though. That kind of driving certainly pushes the engine into the load levels where the knock retard/timing adaptivity will hurt performance and push engine temp up.

I have run regular in more than half dozen Volvo turbos and also in S80 and XC90 V8's and had no ill effects over the tens of thousands of miles on each one. The low pressure turbo XC70 5 cylinder suffered the most as it needed more throttle for expressway merges and such and I could tell it had impacted engine torque a very noticeable amount.
    The higher output cars may have had some reduction in torque at moderate throttle but they had enough torque that the reduction was not obvious.
    Premium used to have a great detergent level difference but pressure by car manufacturers pushed fuel companies to put adequate levels in all grades. Specific recommendation of fuel companies with more detergent in their regular and mid-grades fixed the problem.
    If you are an easy driver then you don't get the benefit of premium.
    My personal "toy" car, a 98 XC with T5 engine, suffers a lot from regular but seems the same on premium or mid-grade. I have a scan tool that allows me to see knock retard levels and the number is 0 or 1 with premium or mid-grade at all but full throttle. WOT makes the number go to 3 or 4 with mid-grade and only reach 2 briefly with premium. With regular it goes to 3 with moderate throttle and 5 with near WOT. I think 5 is max it will show, beyond that fuel enrichment is commenced to aid in knock suppression.

Simply put: if MPG is your goal then regular is OK. If you drive harder the savings in per gallon cost may be erased by additional fuel burned due to timing reduction and fuel enrichment needed. If you know you drive aggressively then stick with premium as long term knock reduction strategy will kill all cost saving of cheaper fuel and could have detrimental effects if the knock strategies aren't fully effective given long periods of high throttle especially in high ambient temperature.

I got 24.5 mpg hwy., on regular gas. Tom

I am averaging 21-22 MPG combined. This is with "winter" fuel. I expect my combined MPG to increase by 2-4 MPG when the "spring/summer" fuel becomes available. Last November on a trip to Montreal (hockey tournament) I averaged nearly 30 MPG by keeping my speed between 62-65 MPH. Over 70mph the mileage dropped significantly.
    Ron N
    2011 XC60 T6 - Barents Blue w/SandstoneInterior, Convenience & Climate Pkgs, BLIS (my car)
    2012 S60 - Flamenico Red (wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by colt_peter View Post
    Hi all, I'm curious as to whether you're seeing the 34 mpg highway and 28 overall mileage ratings in real world driving, specifically for the sDrive28i.

Post your mpg here for "normal" driving (not flogging it) and differentiate whether you're talking about the sDrive28i, xDrive28i, or xDrive35i.

Thanks!
    ????????????????????

I'm not aware of any XC60 model in any market running BMW engines.

Tony

My wife's MY10 3.2 gets a constant 25mpg city/hwy on regular in north Florida year round.

Have had my MY13 T6 since October 2016. Getting a pretty consistent 21.4 - 22.6 MPG on average. My calculations typically fall within 1/2MPG to the cars computer. My daily commute of 43 miles each way includes 27 miles on a limited access highway typically done at 76-80 mph. I burn regular. The knock sensor on the T is great and the car runs great on regular. Much better than my '03 XC70 did, which i always ran on either midgrade or premium. But the 5 cyl engine didn't handle knock control as easily as the 3.0 six does. And the T6 is waaaaay faster - especially in S mode on the tranny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast