Default Imported post

in the right conditions!

That would be a gravel parking lot with a layer of snow on it. It has been plowed.

As we were driving out, and after ensuring I was far from any obstacles. I did the old lift and accelarate!  and it started to slide! So I did it again, with an added turn of the wheel and I was going backwards... somehow... I was kinda fed by another guy in a Tahoe that joined in. It looked like he was spinning more then me!

woo hoo!

snowy parking lots are great!
    '04 V70XC RED with Premium and Sport Package

Edge Icarus (Titus RacerX) || Norco Team Ti || Specialized Big Hit || Lightspeed Tuscany

Default Imported post

Do you have DSTC? With DSTC from a dead stop, you could not spin the wheel , apply power and spin. The DSTC would brake the correct wheel and retard the throttle.
    A little physics for all those adventurous XC drivers. The only thing that holds your XC to the road is the friction force between the surface of the road and the tires. When your inertial force(due to vehicle speed) is GREATER than the friction force supplied by all four wheels, NOTHING will keep you from sliding except a telephone pole or other immovable object. Once the slide begins, you must let the inertial forces reduce to a level BELOW where they started. The slide creates viscous surface that has a lower coefficient of friction than in normal driving. Good luck in your driving! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

Hi guys
    I had my first snow "fun" a week ago, practicing for the first time in a parking lot, and Bud is right, the DSTC was "smarter" than me. I tried to go fast in a turn and I heard the growl of the DSTC, lowered acceleration, and when it found traction away it went. Glad I got my first experiece of what that felt like in a safe situation. I love playing in the snow, I HATE   what my baby looks like all salt crusted, filthy floor mats and "clugs" in the wheel wells.
    Can't wait to retire and move south so I only need AWD for the rain  
    stay safe
     Ruby
    '04 Ruby, sand, prem pkg, tour pkg, xenon, DST, xenia wheels, OSD

Default Imported post

Dick, ( on some boards you wouldn't be able to use this name for some reason... )

We do not have the DSTC on the 01 Volvo. It will be on the new 04 one though. I'll have to check it out  
    '04 V70XC RED with Premium and Sport Package

Edge Icarus (Titus RacerX) || Norco Team Ti || Specialized Big Hit || Lightspeed Tuscany

Default Imported post

Sharon, in the Nuclear Fraternity i have the nickname 'dickhead' for an obvious reason, there is no compromise with Nuclear Safety.
    xcrubygal, install Volvo Rubber mats, fore and aft and a Volvo liner in the rear and DON'T WORRY. We take them hunting, kayaking, biking and just clean them. the level of material used is very durable. Until we got the wagons I used to take my wife's 740 over my Jeep because it was so comfortable. That stopped when my buddy's thermos of coffee lid was not put on tight by a waitress at 0500 having breakfast before goose hunting. Last time my wife let me use the 740! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

I like it when my XC gets dirty.  It means I'm putting it to good use.  I think it's development team would be proud.
    On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)

Thumbs up Imported post

Glad to hear you had fun, Sharon. I'm sure you did so responsibly.

I try practice skid control often. You never know when the skill might be needed.

On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)