Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Windshield replacement Volvo or Aftermarket ?

Hello All
    After we washed our 07 xc70 on the weekend,the windshield cracked from the bottom up,we did not see any stone chips and thought maybe Volvo would cover this,since it is still under warranty.
    Well today I took it in to the dealer and the service adviser took me out to the car and with a pen followed the crack until the tip of the pen went into it.Apparently that's how you can tell where the stone chip is.
    It was under the wiper blade,very hard to see and tiny but enough to cause the split so I'm told.
    Now comes the question,do I replace it with a Volvo part or is any windshield made for that car good and safe enough for it ?
    My insurance deductible is $500 and because it is more than 1 year old they will not cover a factory part only a used or aftermarket.
    The dealer tells me their price for a Volvo windshield is $1005.00 installed.
    Our XC70 also has rain sensing wipers apparently that is also something else to consider.
    What are your thoughts? Volvo or Aftermarket?
    Thanks for your opinions...

You should be fine with aftermarket. It should be specific for your vehicle, including provision for the rain sensor. Here in the foothills of Colorado it isn't uncommon to replace a windshield every year or two. I've put two each in my '05 XC70 and '06 V50 (both with rain sensors) and countless others in previous cars. The first XC70 windshield was sourced from a dealer because it was a relatively new part number. I don't notice any significant difference between the (reputable) parts the contractors for my insurance company use. FWIW, my insurance company guarantees satisfaction with the repair.

When I lived on the east coast of the US I never replaced a windshield. With the "boulders" they use on the winter roads here in Colorado replacement windshields are almost considered routine maintenance. $100 deductible for comprehensive coverage is the "sweet spot" for me just because of the glass.
    '05 XC70 Most of the good stuff, no DSTC
    '06 V50 T5 AWD 6sp OSD 6/06, DSTC

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

I just went through this same dilemma last year with respect to choosing OE or aftermarket glass. If the rain sensing wipers are a crucial feature for you, consider getting the OE glass. The Volvo sensors don't appear to work with aftermarket glass as I discovered. Also, the universal sensor that the glass installer (Speedy Autoglass) used was not compatible with Volvo's rain sensing module.

Another forum member had a similar experience with his front windshield in this thread.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht=rain+sensor

If you decide to go with aftermarket, get a Pilkington and you will be fine.... its the OEM glass manufacturer and has the airbag and side impact logos on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamiar View Post
    If you decide to go with aftermarket, get a Pilkington and you will be fine.... its the OEM glass manufacturer and has the airbag and side impact logos on it.
    If I recall correctly, the windshields I had replaced in my 850 and V70 by Speedy were actually labeled Pilkington, same as the original glass. Of course, in those two cars the glass was pretty basic with only the tint and band. In any case, I was pretty surprised as in past replacement glass usually was someone like PPG.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by volvoturboguy View Post
    Now comes the question,do I replace it with a Volvo part or is any windshield made for that car good and safe enough for it ?
    Firstly, long time lurker, but since I recently went through this issue on my 04 I feel I can contribute.

Have you checked your insurance to see if you have a separate no-deductible glass coverage? I do (specifically because in NE they tend to use ROCKS in winter to give traction on the highways ;-), rather than sand and salt. In my case this is separate from the collision coverage and there is no penalty (according to the agent anyway) for using it.

I am on my third replacement windshield, because the first two, even though they had the location and bracket for the sensor, would not work with the sensor. I don't know which brand, I just know it was not Volvo OEM, and it was re-using my sensor, not a generic one.

Finally after "escalating" the issue with the insurance company, they agreed to put in the Volvo OEM glass. Success, sensor works, and we're all happy.

Moral of the story: stay with OEM. If the Pilkington is OEM, then you might be okay as others have indicated.

Good luck.

My wife and I were on a road trip less than a year after getting our XC70 and a gravel truck passed us on I-95. We got a tiny chip, and by the time we got back to NY it was a full-on crack. I went with the aftermarket... Rainsensors and all that still work fine..

In my case the first replacement was not OEM and the rain sensors did not work even though the glass was supposed to be for rain sensors. Then replaced with OEM and the rain sensors worked fine.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

I heard people having problem with PPG and function of rain sensor.
    I just changed my windshield and I went with Pilkington, OEM glass without volvo stamp and everything including tint and shading is identical and works.

As I recall my first replacement was PPG and as I said it would not work with the Volvo rain sensor.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast