Default Hello from Buffalo!

Hi! I'm a new guy to volvos, coming from e30 BMWs. I just purchased an 02 xc for my wife with a decent amount of miles 150k. A friend and I have a shop so work isn't really an issue.

Now right before I picked up the car, the indie dealer (was his personal vehicle) called and notified me that the low voltage light was on. He wanted me to drive it for the weekend after a good charge to see if it was just the battery or the alternator.
    Today on the way to the local parts store for some tune up goodies the car dies. The abs, traction control, dummy lights would all spark up, the tranny started to shift funny and the car would slowly die off (battery dieing) I could jump it and drive it a few miles to get back home but it would die again. Now to me this says alternator is shot but a fellow euro friend suggests the battery just might be shot. Any advice from you experienced volvo guys on which is correct? Either way the dealer has made full well that he will be replacing the worn part.

To make things even more fun I am pretty sure the T-belt has never been replace So I will be doing this within the next month lol. But tbh I am really starting to fall in love with this thing, and I don't mind saving it from the abuse that was inflicted upon it lol.

I hope to contribute well to this forum and I hope to learn much more about these wonderful tanks.

zack

Charge up the battery then
    1: do a battery test
    2: do a complete charging system check

Probably the battery, everything goes haywire when they go bad, but obviously with those high miles the only way you will know is to do ALL of the above

That's good to know for the dealers sake, he is picking up the bill .

Quote Originally Posted by klug View Post
    to me this says alternator is shot but a fellow euro friend suggests the battery just might be shot. Any advice from you experienced volvo guys on which is correct?
    I've had both parts die, my alternator died just recently at 148K mi or so on my '02. Your symptoms present exactly like my faulty alternator did, test of the alternator showed the diodes were blown. Very easy to check, remove battery and charge it. Check voltage on battery, should be >12.6V. Reinstall in car (note ignition key must be in position II when you reattach battery). Start car. Check voltage on terminals, should be ~14V with car idle. $20 says it'll give just the battery voltage.

I bought a new Bosch alternator from NAPA. Paid $300 which is considerably cheaper than the dealer. Looked like a brand new part too, complete with a Volvo S40 sticker on it

MY05 XC70: +4C+DSTC +Premium Pkg +Zimmerman Coated+Ceramic +General UHP+Rims +IPD Solid Strut Conv. +IPD Poly Mounts +IPD HD TCV +IPD HDCoils

Thanks everyone. /\ I read that when this first happened, good to know.

I am going to check the alternator today when he brings me a new battery so we should know today.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    I've had both parts die, my alternator died just recently at 148K mi or so on my '02. Your symptoms present exactly like my faulty alternator did, test of the alternator showed the diodes were blown. Very easy to check, remove battery and charge it. Check voltage on battery, should be >12.6V. Reinstall in car (note ignition key must be in position II when you reattach battery). Start car. Check voltage on terminals, should be ~14V with car idle. $20 says it'll give just the battery voltage.

I bought a new Bosch alternator from NAPA. Paid $300 which is considerably cheaper than the dealer. Looked like a brand new part too, complete with a Volvo S40 sticker on it
    You sure are a good betting man twas the battery and the dealer will be replacing it Wednesday, as well as throwing in the new battery!