Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bi-Xenon bulb replacement - howto?

I need to replace the headlight bulb on my 2004 XC70. I now have the bulb and want to avoid making a $130 mistake by trying to force the bulb into the housing. It appears there is no way to get the bulb in without breaking it... I broke the old one getting it out.

Are there instructions somewhere on either how to change a Xenon bulb *or* how to remove the headlight assembly? I am used to having a Bentley manual for my VWs that shows how to do this stuff, and feeling a bit lost in the VW world!

Thanks in advance!

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by fprintf View Post
    I need to replace the headlight bulb on my 2004 XC70. I now have the bulb and want to avoid making a $130 mistake by trying to force the bulb into the housing. It appears there is no way to get the bulb in without breaking it... I broke the old one getting it out.

Are there instructions somewhere on either how to change a Xenon bulb *or* how to remove the headlight assembly? I am used to having a Bentley manual for my VWs that shows how to do this stuff, and feeling a bit lost in the VW world!

Thanks in advance!
    Here you go. I don't know why the doors would need to be locked though.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Here you go. I don't know why the doors would need to be locked though.
    I believe the idea is to keep others from possibly turning on the headlamps while you are working on them and giving you some "high voltage" while you are standing in a pool of rad. fluid or whatever on the shop floor.
    MY05 XC70: +4C+DSTC +Premium Pkg +Zimmerman Coated+Ceramic +General UHP+Rims +IPD Solid Strut Conv. +IPD Poly Mounts +IPD HD TCV +IPD HDCoils

Art, thank you so much as always! The instructions make it look so easy and roomy, neglecting to mention it is virtually impossible to fit the bulb & holder into the headlight housing straight in. I'll give it another try again tonight.

Sorry to reply to myself but the instructions were very helpful. I found there was one thing necessary beforehand, and I hope by writing it here someone searching the forum will find this hint.

First, remove the wiring harness immediately behind the headlight assembly for easy access to the plastic bulb cover, and the metal bulb cover behind that. You don't have to remove the whole thing, just the two plugs that are immediately to the left (right when looking down on the headlight from the front of the car). You can then shift the wiring harness aside. This clears it out of the way so you won't have any bruised knuckles, or worse - you do like I did and break the bulb trying to angle it into the holder.

Second, the instructions above show the metal spring clamp removed from the headlight. On my car the clip was held in place by bent metal and would not remove. I had to hold it out of the way with one finger as I guided the bulb assembly past.

It is still a tight fit, and I said a little blessing for good karma as it went in!

Everything you read on the Internet about Xenon bulbs turning blue with age is correct. This new bulb is much whiter than the "old" bulb still left in on the left hand side of the car. However at $130 a pop, I can live with the color mismatch until the other side goes.

Doesnt take much time before they even out. A month at most.
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

"My wife has now officially banned me from any more automotive DIY." - jyanno

I've removed the ECU for additional work area on the passenger side.
    Removed and replaced the bi-xenon bulb.
    I need to put the clamp back to finish, but don't remember how it was attached.

Anyone have a picture or description as to how they were attached?

Still can't see the top portion where the clamps were attached and having a hard time rotating and trying to put the clamp back together.

Quote Originally Posted by horangin View Post
    I've removed the ECU for additional work area on the passenger side.
    Removed and replaced the bi-xenon bulb.
    I need to put the clamp back to finish, but don't remember how it was attached.

Anyone have a picture or description as to how they were attached?

Still can't see the top portion where the clamps were attached and having a hard time rotating and trying to put the clamp back together.
    How did you get the ECU out? I am currently trying to replace my bi-xenon bulb on the passenger side and am desperately trying to create some room to work.

I cant believe how difficult a headlight bulb replacement is on these cars.

Does anyone know a good place to buy these bulbs online? I've looked online and the prices range so much that I'm not sure what is what.

Hi, I was wondering if Art or anyone else has these directions that are no longer hosted on photobucket? I'd love to be able to do this without pulling the bumper and housing off... Many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast