Default Trip Computer Controller

I tried searching on this, but 'trip' and 'computer' are both such common forum words that I wasn't successful.

My trip computer selecter ring on the left-hand stalk is acting up. It used to cycle through the following 5 positions:

-off
    -remaining fuel range
    -average fuel consumption
    -current fuel consumption
    -average speed

But now it regularly skips some - I'm not sure if it's always the same ones, but last night I had trouble getting to fuel range.

I assume that there are some contacts in there that have gotten dirty. Has anyone else seen this? Any easy fix?

I wonder if VIDA/VIDAS has an exploded view of the stalk that would at least let me get in there with some contact cleaner spray.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    I tried searching on this, but 'trip' and 'computer' are both such common forum words that I wasn't successful.

My trip computer selecter ring on the left-hand stalk is acting up. It used to cycle through the following 5 positions:

-off
    -remaining fuel range
    -average fuel consumption
    -current fuel consumption
    -average speed

But now it regularly skips some - I'm not sure if it's always the same ones, but last night I had trouble getting to fuel range.

I assume that there are some contacts in there that have gotten dirty. Has anyone else seen this? Any easy fix?

I wonder if VIDA/VIDAS has an exploded view of the stalk that would at least let me get in there with some contact cleaner spray.
    When does it skip? At a standstill? In motion? I remember having a WTF moment a few days ago, then realizing that I was at a standstill and the car wasn't calculating current fuel consumption. Can't remember if is flat out skipped that selection or just put -- in the display.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

I have a extra set of stalks .

but its just simple connector in the back held in place by two torks screws
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Before you replace the whole stalk try cleaning it. My selector would skip selections like that until I sprayed the stalk with electrical contact cleaner. I did not bother with a schematic, I just sprayed the gap and rotated the selector wheel. That fixed it.

It also worked on my temperamental radio selector.

BTW, for whatever reason I had the most trouble with it skipping fuel range as well.
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

Quote Originally Posted by JayPinNC View Post
    When does it skip? At a standstill? In motion?.
    It's both. I think at stand-still you still get the text for instant fuel consumption, but no # - I don't get either.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by slowflyer View Post
    Before you replace the whole stalk try cleaning it. My selector would skip selections like that until I sprayed the stalk with electrical contact cleaner. I did not bother with a schematic, I just sprayed the gap and rotated the selector wheel. That fixed it.

It also worked on my temperamental radio selector.

BTW, for whatever reason I had the most trouble with it skipping fuel range as well.

Well, I think I'd live without it before I replaced the stalk - there's nothing in there I really need.

But I'll try to some contact cleaner - I was hoping to do a little partial disassembly before hand, but based upon your success, I'll just do what I can as-is. Thanks.