Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to tow a xc70?

I want to tow my 01 xc70 behind RV. But didn't find any hook on the front base. Can anybody suggest how I can do this?

Thanks,

Plop

If you flat tow an XC70, you WILL waste the drivetrain. you need a vehicle that has a transmission/transfer case that can be put into neutral.
    2003 XC70
    BFG Mud Terrains
    IPD Aluminum Skid plate
    Curt Hitch
    Yakima Basket W/ Spare Tire Mount
    Poly Upper and Lower Motor mounts
    IPD Gauge Rings
    ETC ...........

Thanks uscgc70. But I don't understand this point. When I flat tow xc, I can put the trans on Neutral. Is this right?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by plopband View Post
    Thanks uscgc70. But I don't understand this point. When I flat tow xc, I can put the trans on Neutral. Is this right?

Thanks,
    Yes, but your manual specifically states: max speed when towing with all 4 wheels on the ground is 50mph, maximum distance 50 miles.

I did not know this. I got to rent a trailer. Thanks guys! I did the correct thing to post this in the forum.

Plop

Rent a full car trailer to tow your XC

Jeep is the only manufacture that speficly builds a internal pump that is run by the axles to transfer tranny fluid to he cooler .

why they due that is towing builds up heat in the tranny and with out the pump it causes the transfluid to basicly over heat and either burn up and or do other damage
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    Rent a full car trailer to tow your XC

Jeep is the only manufacture that speficly builds a internal pump that is run by the axles to transfer tranny fluid to he cooler .

why they due that is towing builds up heat in the tranny and with out the pump it causes the transfluid to basicly over heat and either burn up and or do other damage
    So lucky to have you experts here. In case I need a short distance tow, like road side assistant, how can I mount xc to a flat tow bar?

I don't mean to hijack this thread in any way, but I have a related question:

I've removed the drive shaft from my 2000 V70XC, therefore making it FWD. Am I correct in assuming that towing on all 4 wheels would be OK since the AWD functionality has been disabled? If anything, lifting the two front wheels fine as well?
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post

I've removed the drive shaft from my 2000 V70XC, therefore making it FWD. Am I correct in assuming that towing on all 4 wheels would be OK since the AWD functionality has been disabled? If anything, lifting the two front wheels fine as well?
    Tow just like you would any other FWD car. Rear diff and axles are just free-wheeling now anyway.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post

Still tow with at a minimum of the front wheels off the ground since you will end up with the same deal as a awd on the ground the tranny will overheat and cook itself
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast