Question Siren / Alarm sound

Hi
    I have had my 2003 Volvo XC70 since last June and it has been wonderful, until now.

During the heavy rain this week, anytime I drove through areas of standing water it sounded like a siren began sounding. Seemed like it came from the right side of the vehicle. It was really loud and didn't stop until I slowed way down. Then it would go away. It would be perfectly fine until the next big puddle. Driving in ordinary rain has not been a problem.

Does anybody have any idea what this could possibly be? I saw another posting that suggested wheel bearings but would I only get the awful sound when going through a puddle? I am totally baffled.

Any input would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks
    Last edited by FanOfXC70; 01-23-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: left out year of car

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

What you're likely hearing is the exhaust rubbing against the propeller shaft when heavy rain/sleet/snow is encountered. You can view discussion about this in the link below. An exhaust support kit is available through the dealer to address the issue.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ght=snow+whine

The siren modules seam to start failing after 5 to 6 years, there have been topics about them, do a search for "siren module"
    Mine (MY2004 but in use since may 2003) was filled with water when I removed it and at that time it had begun making
    strange noise (resembling static noise coming from a loudspeaker). It wouldn't surprize me if the siren, in case of water damage,
    could sound as you describe it. The siren module is located in the right front wheel well, behind the plastic cover. It can
    be disconnected, the anti-theft system will be mute but still works. This link also descibes how to remove/replace the module:
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Thank you SO much for both postings! Honestly sounds like it could be either issue. I'm grateful that it's most likely not something dangerous.

Judging by the threads I've seen it looks like a too common problem that Volvo should have addressed by now.

it looks like a too common problem that Volvo should have addressed by now.
    They addressed the driveshaft rain squeal back in '04.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...ling-noise.pdf

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

That bulletin has since been updated with the one below. It appears that there are different part #s for the kits and additional info outlined in the tech note. Thanks for the follow up on that Dave. I'll make arrangements to have the original PDF replaced.

Aha, I didn't think about the drive shaft anymore, such a long time ago. A good thing someone did,
    Art beat by a few seconds answering, otherwise I wouldn't have posted my siren module doom report
    Rereading the original post, I now also noticed the sound was like a siren, not the siren.
    Probably a good thing it won't be the siren module, it's an expensive item
    Willy
    Last edited by Willy; 01-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)