Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow in the UK

Default Snow in the UK

Apologies if this is a duplicate subject but having looked, most of the discussion seems to be with regard to places which regularly have lot of snow.... we're just learning!
    I've got an '07 XC70 (old model) and pirelli scorpians. I'm about to get a set of chains from a pal - LR chains but we think them will fit (& will check before I use them!).
    What do folk run on? Anyone in the UK have 2 sets of tyres/wheels? Wondering if a set of full on summer tyres might improve my MPG - currently around 34-35. But then the faff & storage space & cost is a bit prohibitive - & what about those summer moments knee deep in mud?
    Any thoughts?
    (incidentally, I'm having a lot of fun with mine at the mo - goes ANYWHERE - hardly used traction control, if at all, although thankful for a bit of ABS now & again).

Glad you're enjoying the white & fluffy, it's buggered my xmas Couldn't get to Scotland for new year

I have same year as you, '07 D5 185 manual SE LUX.
    Anyhoo, tyres, I changed mine recently to these http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=So
    Notice they're 235 wide. I've lost about 2mpg since I put these on, but it also coincided with the change to winter diesel so I'm not certain it's the tyres that's hurt it. I'll find out in spring I guess. As for grip they've been brilliant, far better than the stock STRs in snow, and these are meant to be more summer biased. Far more grip in wet & dry and far quieter, ride has improved a bit also

I'll never go back to Pirelli now. Might try Michelin or Nokian next time if I can find them at the right money. This set cost £87 each in November, they've gone up quite a bit since.

When I finally move full time to Scotland I'll be getting a dedicated set of winters, but down Leeds we seldom get enough snow to justify the cost.

Want to improve mpg? Got £500 - £600 to spare? http://www.rica-uk.com/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=273

I live in Belgium, not that much snow here, but I do have summer and winter tyres since this is far better than any all-season
    when temperatures drop, even without (much) snow. I use them from October until May (it can still freeze thenin this region).
    I am not sure about not wanting Pirelii's anymore, I don't like their all-seasons, but they have excellent summer and winter
    tyres (different specs in the US and EU though!!!!) One thing I know for sure: tyres can make a car feel completely different.
    Be careful with chains, if I am not mistaken they have to be quite thin in order not to touch anything in the wheel well.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

This last week is the first chance I've had to test the snow performance of my 05 XC70. I live at the top of a short sharp rise which beat the neighbours but I just sailed up with a smug look on my face. I then went back and towed a couple of them up. The tyres are the original Scorpions, done 47000miles. Over the years towing a shed around Europe I have had next to nothing go wrong with the car and I'm really glad I bought it. I got talking to another owner who upgraded to the post 07 model which he thinks is relative rubbish. Having had a look round his car it seems to have been value engineered by Ford. One day I might want to renew my car but I can't think now what I would get. Hope it keeps going for a long long time.
    Barry

Ive just got back from Switzerland - regular 6 inches of snow and hard pack. The STRs behave impeccably with the 4WD, as they have on our past 2 trips. I actually believe that they represent a sensible middle ground for UK use. I have proper winter tyres (Vredstein wintrack) on my 2WD MG ZTT, and they are brilliant, but to be honest, unless I was using the XC in switzerland all the time, I would stick with the scorpions.
    I do think we may be seeing the UK wake up to winter tyres pretty soon - Most tyre dealers look at you blankly at the moment, but as previously said, Delti are great.
    If you want to read tests on winter tyres, the ADAC wbsite is brilliant if you can read german!
    In summary, for the UK, IMHO, Winter tyres on 2WD, scorpions (or similar M+S tyres) on 4WD

Hmmm, I wonder if Scorpions are compounded differently for the North America market versus the EU? So many folks over here, including me, don't think much of them, but you guys sound like they work quite well. I always had great luck with Pirellis until I ran into the Scorpions.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thumbs up nothing but praise for my XC70 in snow

I am on M+S and over the last few weeks my car has never let me down, in fact I am a little bit p'ed off with its performance as not a slide or twitch whatsoever. I have done hills other cars didn't even want to look at let alone try so I am very impressed.

Last week I was so bored driving on the cleared black stuff I decided to take it off road and use a road that sees very little traffic. For those of you know the Brighton area I decided to go off the A23 at Hickstead and go 'over the top' on the Saddlescombe Road by Devils Dyke.... my XC70 was a dream to drive... up and down the hills, around the corners like a true pro.... it will be hard to think of another replacement car when the time comes to part company with my present XC70

Anyone who is considering getting a car needs to have a very serious look at the XC70 range...

I may be mistaken but doesn't volvo spec chains must be on all 4 wheels so as not to screw up the AWD [at least the bevel gear style?]

And yes - they sell special 'thin' chains for low clearance applications.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoser View Post
    I may be mistaken but doesn't volvo spec chains must be on all 4 wheels so as not to screw up the AWD [at least the bevel gear style?]

And yes - they sell special 'thin' chains for low clearance applications.
    Just like you should do with snows or studs, you should run chains on all four wheels regardless of drive configuration. If you don't, its a good way to either nose it into a ditch or put the arse-end in the same ditch. Please do not ask me how I know these things. My only excuse is (or was) that I was young and ignorant of such things. Now I'm considerably older and theoretically wiser.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Default chains

I'm no expert on this, but I asked my local volvo dealer about the chains issue, and they said
    "your Volvo XC70 and all other Volvo’s require snow chains ONLY to be fitted to the front wheels.".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast