Thread: Me Volvo

Default Me Volvo

Hey there all you volvo owners out there
    Just joined up, and wanted to say a couple of things;
    Firstly, I recently bought (for the measley sum of £1000!) a 1998 V70 XC AWD, from,, you guessed it, Ebay!!
    Fully loaded except cruise, but what the hey! I discovered as soon as I drove the car, that it was in 'Limp mode' due to a knackered turbo, although, everything else appeared to work fine, Woohoo I thought.
    It wasn't until we had snow, (I'm in the UK at the mo) and I thought I'd test out the awd system. (still in limp mode)
    It doesn't work. Well, what can I say? I'm not too bothered because of the knock down price I got it for. Plus I can get another viscous link for £180!
    All things being equal, the car will be running fine by January.
    Secondly, I have read quite a few posts on here, regarding tyre pressures, & un-even tyre wear causing problems etc, and must say, that I was most surprised to find out that, that is correct.
    But what really annoyed me, when I read the manual that came with it, was that it states & I quote,

'WARNING!! All-wheel drive vehicles are not designed or built for off-road driving.'

So why and how DARE Volvo call it 'XC' which of course stands for 'CROSS-COUNTRY'?!?!?
    I bought this car specifically for towing on slippery, ie. muddy surfaces!

I'm not happy, as by the time I've fixed everything, the car will stand me in a few thousand Pounds. & it won't even do what is says on the tin!
    Px anyone? 'just kiddin' I like it a lot, however I'm seriously unimpressed

I have a 2000 V70XC, and let me tell you... it does very well on bad roads. I recently had the AWD system disabled (bad bevel gear) and it still does wonder on snow if you know how to handle it correctly.

The "do not use for off-roading" is more of a liability thing for Volvo I think. These cars truly aren't mean to be doing the work of say, a Jeep Wrangler on true off roads. But they'll handle mud, snow and tough conditions with no problem. The heavy front end + FWD is a great combo.

Also, I don't think "Cross Country" really has much to do with serious off-roading, but more that you can take it most anywhere without worrying. Makes a great freeway car for long trips and doesn't complain when the weather sucks.

Improper tie pressure and alignment will cause problems on ANY car, Volvos included. That's just basic stuff that needs to be checked and done every so often.

Good luck!
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Default Me volvo

Thanks for your reply.
    I accept completely that it is not a 'REAL' 4x4, and so also accept that it's capability of going up the side of a mountain is asking a little too much.
    Also having driven it in the snow, (in 'limp mode' I might add,) I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed. It got to the supermarket and back no problem
    What makes me wonder is, if a minute difference, even in just the depth of the tread, and/or tyre pressures, can have such a detrimental affect on something that is 'designed' to transmit power to a differentiated axle,..
    Exactly how 'tough' are these components?
    It seems, not very.
    However, I will replace the culprit, and just see what happens.
    If I really have to, I can always make it, (Just) rear drive by welding a piece that would normally be the said, 'weak' torque converter.
    We'll see.
    Once again thanks very much & happy holidays))
    Lemmy

If you haven't already you're going to blow that transmission sky high continuing to run it in "limp mode"
    and it's MY Volvo not me Volvo, Cockney not spoken here

Wow this JRL character is one negative, depressing dude! At least we just have to see him in letters, not in person. I thought this forum was supposed to be fun

I'm not depressing, I just hate poor English
    As for him driving in limp mode, this is a big no no and he WILL blow it up for good eventually

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mercedes92 View Post
    Wow this JRL character is one negative, depressing dude! At least we just have to see him in letters, not in person. I thought this forum was supposed to be fun
    JRL is one cool dude. I've learned more from this guy on this forum than anyone else here. Whenever I see a JRL reply to something I sit up and read. My dream is to maybe one day buy a V70R manual from him. I just wish I could buy it Canadian certified.

Sure he's a stickler for grammar but as a teacher, I find I get more annoyed as students turn in papers with Netspeak and weird unfathomable abbreviations in their sentences.

Keep it JRL.

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

Default Whoops -

You'll have to remember that this is - in essence - an US forum, most of us Brits have wandered away.

Don't let JRL wind you up, he is a Fount of All Knowledge, but I guess some of our mannerisms get lost in the translation.

If you can get a good VC for GBP 180, then it may be worth doing, but the set up process is quite involved - if you do it to Volvo specifications.

Sorry, have to go - Nurse is ready with some Christmas Cheer.

If I don't get attacked by the US residents I'll come back soon with other points if they've not been already covered.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

JRL isn't the boss of anyone around here - so write anything you want, any way you want, and in any language or dialect you want.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18