Default '03 Propeller Shaft Replacement

My 2003 XC70 (83K miles) needs a new propeller shaft. It's developed a "clicking" noise with every revolution of the shaft. The dealership I use in Baltimore said in it's current state that it's not a safety issue to drive, and in fact, I just made 300 mile round trip with no adverse effect, but the clicking noise (only audible at slower speeds) is driving me insane and I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off (plus it will be my daughter's car when she starts driving next year about this time). So...I am biting the bullet to and having it replaced. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap repair. I searched the forum and I didn't find anything on replacement of propeller shafts so I assume this is an uncommon failure? Has anyone else had to replace the propeller shaft and does anyone have any ideas as to what generally causes these to need replacing. The vehicle has been regularly serviced by various Volvo dealers since I took ownership in 2003. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Not on a Haldex car, not common.
    It IS common on the earlier (02 and earlier) cars

I think my 01XC has this kind of noise.
    However, none of my mechanic can tell the cause and cure it.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    My 2003 XC70 (83K miles) needs a new propeller shaft. It's developed a "clicking" noise with every revolution of the shaft. The dealership I use in Baltimore said in it's current state that it's not a safety issue to drive, and in fact, I just made 300 mile round trip with no adverse effect, but the clicking noise (only audible at slower speeds) is driving me insane and I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off (plus it will be my daughter's car when she starts driving next year about this time). So...I am biting the bullet to and having it replaced. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap repair. I searched the forum and I didn't find anything on replacement of propeller shafts so I assume this is an uncommon failure? Has anyone else had to replace the propeller shaft and does anyone have any ideas as to what generally causes these to need replacing. The vehicle has been regularly serviced by various Volvo dealers since I took ownership in 2003. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I just had the same diagnosis on my 2003 xc70--bad propeller shaft--and I haven't been able to find an after-market replacement except for 2004-2007 model. Is the 2003 shaft different from these?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Not on a Haldex car, not common. It IS common on the earlier (02 and earlier) cars

Scroll down to the propeller shaft discussion http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/driveline.htm
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by rfauber View Post
    I just had the same diagnosis on my 2003 xc70--bad propeller shaft--and I haven't been able to find an after-market replacement except for 2004-2007 model. Is the 2003 shaft different from these?

03 and 04 is the exact same XC
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)