View Poll Results: Poll: Are you happy with your 2001-2007 XC70?

Voters
369. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’ve not had any trouble (with my XC), I am very happy.

94 25.47%
  • I’ve had only little trouble, I am happy.

126 34.15%
  • I’ve had some problems but I’m still happy (I mean it).

97 26.29%
  • I’ve had some problems but I’m still happy (This poll is anonymous: to be honest I’m not happy).

26 7.05%
  • I have quite some problems and I am not happy (I wish I had not bought this car).

19 5.15%
  • I have had many problems (and of course I whish I had not bought this car).

7 1.90%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

In two years and 40.000 km i haven't any problem.
    I have change the oil of geartronic only for my ideas beacause i want use this car for many years.
    I have bought the car when it has 80 k km and now have 128k km .
    I have change at 100k km and 120 k km only oil and filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Fuel economy in an XC70 is 'earned'. How you accelerate accounts for 30% of your fuel economy. And (cough) I earn my fuel economy of 12.0L/100km city winter. On the highway I get 8-9L/100km. With summer tires, it's 10L/100km city and 7.5L/100km highway.
    I finally got around to converting it ... That seems to be 24 mi/gall(UK) in winter/city and up to 38 mi/gall(uk) in summer out of town.

Similar to my experience with my diesel late '04 XC70. I am averaging 36.3 mpg over the last 12 months on Pirelli Scorpion STR (M&S) tyres. That's a mix of short trips with at least a couple of 120Mi journeys at the start and end of week.

The trip computer is insanely optimistic (around 20% over estimate - it can show 50+ mpg on a long trip (around 15 l/100k). Pity it's not true!
    V40(5yrs) -> V90(1yr) -> V40(3yrs) -> V50(1yr) -> XC70(04) -> XC70(08)

Interesting, I've found my trip computer to usually underestimate by 1-2 MPG (US).
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    I finally got around to converting it ... That seems to be 24 mi/gall(UK) in winter/city and up to 38 mi/gall(uk) in summer out of town.

Similar to my experience with my diesel late '04 XC70. I am averaging 36.3 mpg over the last 12 months on Pirelli Scorpion STR (M&S) tyres. That's a mix of short trips with at least a couple of 120Mi journeys at the start and end of week.

The trip computer is insanely optimistic (around 20% over estimate - it can show 50+ mpg on a long trip (around 15 l/100k). Pity it's not true!
    My trip computer say 7,1 lt /100 km but the real is 7,8 to 8 lt/100 km.
    It's about 12,5 km lt sometimes 13KM lt but i drive slow 20% city and 80% out at 70-90 KM /h because there's a lot of speed control.
    Regretting :

Should add my 2-cents worth to this discussion. We've had our MY05 XC70 2.5T since new and have just put 100,000 km (60,000 miles) on it. Apart from routine maintenance (which from our previous experience with other "premium" brands hasn't been that expensive) the only major costs have been replacing the air-conditioning condensor and one cracked side window. With a mixture of city and highway driving the overall fuel efficiency (its the 2.5T petrol/gas) is around 10.5-11 l/100km (21-22 miles/USgal).

On two occassions over the last 3 years we have looked seriously at the current model XC70 (which would be the D5 diesel here in Oz). On both times we have come away very disapointed with particularly the driving experience of the current model. Its too big, too heavy and to be frank - the D5 diesel is not that great compared with the diesel engines of other manufacturers.

About 12 months ago with the decision to stay with our '05, we spent $2000 on replacing the HU-850 unit with a Pioneer touch-screen system. We now have in-dash ipod, bluetooth, DVD player, Sat Nav and reversing camera.

I suspect we will be keeping it for a little while yet although we probably will have a good look at the 2012 V60 D5 (with the upgraded D5 engine) later this year.

Tony

I have a 04 XC70 D5 Geartronic with over 300.ooo km and the only problem was a broken front coil spring . The car is very reliable compared with my other Volvo, an 2001 V70 2.4i . The consumption is a litle disapointing, the average is 10% which is a lot more than what Volvo wrote in the book (8.5% -average) .
    XC70 2004 D5 powered by RBN 199hp@450Nm full xenon & full LED interior
    V70 2001 2.4i R cold intake, 18" Capella`s, LED tail lamp

Uhhhh, yeah, I'd like to hear the good stuff, because I bought a 2001XC a week a go and am about to have a stroke after reading this forum and Edmund's Consumer Reviews. I can't afford an expensive toy. I need mine to work and be reasonable on repairs or its gone!

I have 3 friends with V70s that love them and one friend who has had 10 of them including a racing version he had shipped over from Europe. After all their glowing reports I didn't know there was a nightmare of a difference between the Cross Country and the normal V70 and am now scared to death

I do like everyone I have dealt with on the forum, Great Guys & Gals..... but is the 2001 XC really going to be that bad?

I am taking mine to my mechanic of 15 years I trust for a full inspection tomorrow.
    2001 V70XC Cross Country (153K miles)
    Thank You & God Bless!

Mine's going back to the dealer at the end of the week for warranty repairs, will let you know after that.....

Got GOOD NEWS from the mechanic today that there was nothing major (excluding a suspect master cylinder I knew about) and that the rig looks to be in good overall condition concerning all the important things. So, I am thrilled for now even tho I am still scared half to death
    2001 V70XC Cross Country (153K miles)
    Thank You & God Bless!

My '01 XC is hands down the best car i ever had! No major problems that weren't worked out in the first few years of ownership. Wear and tear, that's all. Today it has 170,000+ miles on the odometer and I still enjoy driving it whenever I can. In fact, given the choice to take the '09 or the '01, I always opt for the '01. It's sportier, the seats are more comfortable, I like the interior more and it's just become like an old friend. Just be diligent with preventative maintenance and find a reputable mechanic. We've been fortunate enough to have had all of our Volvos serviced by the same Volvo mechanic since purchasing them....... I mean no one else has ever even done an oil change. Jon's greatness for keeping all of our Volvos in peak shape has been a great attribution to our relationship with the brand. Good service from someone you trust rather than from an anonymous individual in the service department at Walmart will make your time with this car a pleasure. Don't buy cheap parts and don't beat it into the ground. It is, still, a family car and not an ATV or performance car.

Enjoy the ride!
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA