Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was hoping that I could just pull the driveshaft. I haven't had anybody say that yes this will work and it wont further any damage. I just want to get it home and then I can look into it in more detail.
    Thanks!

1998 XC70 153k, first Volvo, bought 5/09.

There have been a lot of people who've "converted" their XCs to front drive only. Perhaps a search of this forum will give you some specifics on the process. I believe that they've just pulled the drive shafts, but I've never looked into it.

If the bevel gear had destroyed itself, they may have also taken the casing off and removed parts from inside as well, just to make sure that there's no bits of metal rattling around in the bottom of the transmission.

Try pulling the shaft and see if the nasty clunk goes away. At the very least you'll be taking all of the strain off of the bevel gears, which should allow you to get home.

Good luck.
    Bill

Default Update

I replaced the bushing on the top engine mount (torque strut) and it made the clunk about 50% quieter. I didn't mess with the car anymore since I wanted to spend time with family. I ended up leaving the car there and borrowing one of my dads cars to get back to PA. I will just replace the bevel gear when I am home for Thanksgiving. I am also going to replace the right front cv joint/axle because I noticed the boot is torn and the car has 140k so it doesn't make much sense to repair it. And no, the CV joint is not the cause of the clunk, it is still in good shape. I will keep you guys posted and will let you know.
    Thanks!

1998 XC70 153k, first Volvo, bought 5/09.

Default Bevel Gear/Bearing

Can just relay what I have recently gone thru...had same whining sound (without clunking) when accelerating/decelerating...took to dealer in my hometown (unfortunately didnt have access to my mechanic in the city) and they claimed bevel gear issue and replaced it---for an obscene amount of money. Drove it off the lot and when i finally paid attention there was a much softer whining and only to about 50mph...but then as you mentioned i think road noise drowns it out. took to my mechanic i usually go to and he said he had just replaced the bearing on another xc (30 dollar part but attached to a much bigger more expensive part) and so now he is going to replace that for about 1200 bucks. He nailed it too when he asked if it sounded like it was coming from the right front of the car and it is actually a piece in the center. So will be getting replaced in a couple of weeks. I mention this because it seemed both problems (bevel and bearing) had the same symptom but to differing degrees. I think JRL mentioned bearing in his responses as well.

my 2¢.

My car started doing this exact same thing 2 days ago. It sounds like the drive train is going to be left in the road. It is worse when slowing to turn and picking up the throttle again. At the same time the trans started puking fluid. A local Volvo/Saab specialty shop suggested the the torque converter seal as the cause of the leak. A $30 part with a $1400 repair bill.

Hopefully the noise will be tracked down to a bearing, but not with my luck.

Suggestions? :ears:
    Last edited by Space; 10-30-2009 at 05:31 PM.

tore it down a little this morning and found what I am sure is nothing new to most of you.

Trans fluid is now pouring from the torque converter housing. I am assuming its the seals.

Removed the drive shaft and all banging and vibration is gone. One of the CV joints is shot and the carrier bearing has a lot of play in the dampening material. Normal?

Now to see if the CV's are serviceable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12