Default Help removing 2006 XC90 Rear Headrest

I need to remove the rear headrests in my XC90 to install carseats. Anyone have any suggestions before I embark? And don't tell me they can't be removed....someone put them in, they have to come out!

Thanks in advance!!

This is how you remove the front headrest, so maybe the rear's are similar:
    The release tabs are a bit hard to feel, but slide your fingers down the back of the seat, just as wide the headrest. You will feel 2 tabs, below the pleather, just before the indentation for the seat back area. Push in the buttons, one at a time, while lifting on the headrest, and it will slide right out.

I had to do the same thing to ensure the car seat sat flat against the seat back.

Remove the plastic trim piece.
    Flip the head rest down and you should then be able to access the 2x torx head cap screws that fasten the head rest to the seat.
    Work the leather so that the entire unit can be removed.
    Instal the cap screws again so that they do not get lost.
    Replace the plastic trim piece.

Good luck.

Default Success!!

Thank you PUNKO. As you can see, it took a while to get to this honeydo item, but the wife is smilin' now! I sincerely appreciate it.

Default Pics or more details?

Hi Deanster and Punko,
    I have a 2007 xc90 and am also trying to remove the rear headrest to install a carseat. I've been scouring the internet and it looks like you two are the only ones who have managed to remove the rear headrests. =)

I popped off the plastic trim, but now I'm not sure what to do next. Are the head cap screws straight down the two holes? It looks like I'm looking at hex bolts in there. Are those what I'm supposed to loosen? If so it looks like I would need to use a torque wrench with long heads.

Also is it just the headrest and the metal posts that come out or are those attached to a larger unit that also needs to come out?

Any pics of the headrest out?

I'm trying to get as much info as possible as I don't want to do any permanent damage trying to get these things off. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

winnipegtibook Guest

Default headrest - you don't need to remove

you can install a car seat tether (i assume this is what you need to do) simply by pulling the lever (or strap) on the headrest, the tilting forward and fishing the tether through. i did it on a v70 awd (same headrest) and it requires a bit o fishing but it works

Winnipegtibook,
    I have a Britax Marathon. It sits so high that the headrest is in the way not allowing the back of the carseat to contact the seat back. I already have the tether attached and the carseat is secure, but there is a 2-3 inch gap between the carseat back and the seat back. If the headrest can be removed, then the carseat will be able to sit flush against the seatback. Thanks though for your suggestion!

Default A few more details on getting that car seat in

Punko's description is good, but a bit sparse, so for bshin1 and anyone else who reads this, here are some more details:

1) You've got to remove the plastic trim piece with the split tabs that go around the metal posts of the rear seat's folding headrest. Go slow, don't use a ton of pressure. You should be able to loosen the long front and back edges of the plastic with your fingers. Try the headrest in both the up and down positions to help you. The trim is held in 6 places: two along the long back edge, two inside of the headrest's metal posts and two outside of the headrest's metal posts. I had to use the shaft of a screwdriver to gently pry the front outside two clips up. The other four I could do by hand.

2) Now you have the trim off. Lower the headrest and you'll see two deeply recessed nuts. On my 2003 XC90, they were 10mm nuts and a 10mm nut driver just barely fit into the hole. I don't think I have a 10mm socket that would have made it. The nuts are on very tight but I assume that is normal -- I needed a pair of visegrips on the nutdriver for leverage.

3) Unscrew the two nuts completely. They are attached to two studs, so don't worry about losing the other end. If you can get the nuts out of the holes, great, because you don't want to lose them in this next procedure. Next, gently work the entire plastic assembly to which the headrest is attached back and forth and you'll get one end free of its stud. Gently work the other and lift the entire plastic housing with the hinged headrest attached to it out of the seat.

4) Hopefully you did not send the nuts flying out of the holes as you ripped the plastic housing from the seat. ;-) Replace the nuts on the studs in the seat and screw them all the way down. They'll rattle loose as you drive if you don't.

5) Install your car seat. You're on your own for that one!

Default rear headrest removal for carseat

Many thanks carseatdad and punko. Managed to remove the other evening - some photos here which may be useful to others. (just be sure to tie a knot in seatbelt to avoid belt lock-up when folding seat forward)
    http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16571
    Last edited by nightrider; 05-14-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: corrected link

Thanks for this information. I'm a new owner of a 2014 XC90 and needed to get the rear headrest out, in order to get the car set to fit better. With this post and 10 minutes of time the job was done. Thanks!