Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell your story

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    2002 and later with Bosch fuel system use a leakage detection pump, not vacuum to detect tank vapor loss.
    The pumps and the ECM software running the test and interpreting current draw of the LDP to determine loss rate, if any, has been updated several times and of late seems to have handled the problem.
    The pump has an integral vent closing valve and a heater element as well as a small DC motor running a vane pump. For the more stringent leak test the pump is run with vent open which makes the pump push its air through a 0.5 mm hole to allow the test standard current to be determined. Then the vent closes and the pump builds current as the tank gains pressure and the pump works harder.
    The less stringent test that runs more frequently runs the pump with vent closed and only needs to see a certain current gain to know there is not a large leak.

I'm not sure if this system is what you are referring to. I'm not sure what other markets and/or year models outside North America use this.

The system used earlier was a vacuum system with a pressure sensor and a vent closing valve as a free standing part.
    Thanks cattlecar,
    My XC90 is an 2008 3.2 petrol with 26.000 Km. (16.5 K miles) on the clock, It is made in Sweden and I would assume that it is the same European standard 3.2 version.I had the car for 2.5 years now.
    It started a year ago at the gas station,(before that time there was nothing wrong at all) as I was filling it up, the gas hose would only fill like 1/3 capacity and then it would cut out,I tried different times at different speeds with no luck.
    Took the car to the dealer to have it fixed, where it was filled all up with no sign of any problem. I was relieved, thought it was a clogged air vent or so. Surprisingly the problem occured again some 3 months later. Now I can only half fill my tank and may be squeeze another quarter with difficulty.
    I was skeptical, is it the car or is it the gas station pump? But once I read that this is also happening to some other members on the Volvo forum U.K,U.S
    I could tell for sure that this an XC90 issue.
    I never had the time to take the car back to Volvo and I don't know if I really want to do this.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks again.

Try something. When it is hard to fill, turn on ignition and then back off and then go back and attempt to fuel again. If this makes it take fuel normally then the system was testing or at least closing the vent valve at the wrong time. The vent outlet that is controlled by the integral vent closing valve in the LDP is up by fuel filler. There have been issues where spiders or dirt wasps (not sure if either of those insects are an issue in Beirut) built nests in the vent and blocked it.
    The system shouldn't be testing then and closing the vent valve that is part of the LDP.

What changed about fueling when evaporative emissions were taken seriously is that the vapors do not escape past the fuel nozzle you insert. The fuel goes in below fuel level and the displaced vapor off the top of fuel passes through the charcoal canister to absorb the vapors. Anything that blocks or crimps the associated hoses would push the vapors back out the filler and the vapors and splash will make the auto cut-off feature cut the nozzle off. In some cases a "burp" of liquid fuel will come back out of filler.

I love my XC90! Wish I would have purchased it with the GPS already installed. Have replaced all 4 tires, front & back brakes, front & back rotares, upper engine mount all before 75K miles! But I still love the vehicle.
    Last edited by Deasey.Amber; 11-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Our '07 XC90 V8-Sport is our second Volvo and we are Volvo For Life! My wife wanted to look at XC90's so we headed to the dealer. She saw a 2008 CPO 3.2 AWD with the Tech/Entertainment package that she liked. Parked next to it was a 2007 CPO V8-Sport in Titanium Grey with the towing package. We drove both and realized that for towing, performance, and sound, the V8 was the way to go. I can't say enough about the CPO program from Volvo, take it in for regular service at the dealer, Volvo Marin, and have not had to worry about a thing. The AWD works wonderfully, we went to the mountains and she was composed over ice and snow, even with the 19" Sport Alloys and low profile tires. The leather is Navy with White trim on the front and rear outboard seats. Volvo For Life!

Can anyone tell me where the Leak Detection Pump is on a 2007 XC-90? The Volvo Dealer wants $706 to replace it and says it is "leaking oil in belt area". Does this make sence? Or did he intend to type "Leaking AIR" into something? I caled him and he sounded confused. They quoted the part to cost $450.00 but I see that I can get one for about $130.

I have the exact same car and have had nothing but problems. It has been dealer maintained since we bought it brand new in 2009 . So far we have 75000 miles on it and just since Feb 2013 we have replaced battery, starter motor, TCM upgrade and transmission Valve body, spending over 5000. in repairs. All this on a car that is only 4 years old. This does not include the work done under warranty. I will never buy another Volvo. Very disappointed and called dealership Volvo Corporate no one will help. Not to mention the safety risk when the Valve body failed on the Skyway Bridge in Florida went from 65 miles to 30 and car overheating. Vvery dangerous. This happened twice both times with my son in the car. Not impressed with Volvo. The safest vehicle on the road..... really.
    Last edited by Don't buy a Volvo XC90; 10-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Hi! I'm new here..
    I bought a XC90 D5 Diesel. A friend in Germany recommended it, so after returning to South Africa I bought one. A 2007 model. The vacuum system took a hit after about 8 months and it cost me more than I feel was acceptable. However, I never resorted to forums such as this to find help diagnosing and fixing the problem.
    That said, I love this car. I go to the Kruger National Park on "Safari" 3 times a year. This car does it all. Freeways, dirt tracks and everything inbetween with maximum comfort and minimum fuss. My only abiding hassle was an annoying rear left tyre that went flat on me 3 times within a year. I changed brands and haven't looked back.
    Now I'm buying another XC90 D5, a 2006, and look forward to fetching it this coming week after a few odd things have been resolved. (Missing wheel bolts!!)
    The 06 will be used to ferry all the stuff I need to build on some land I have close to the Kruger Park, where I'll be building a holiday lodge soon.

OK, enough gabbing. I look forward to drawing from the knowledge and experience gathered here..
    Derek in Africa.
    Hakuna Matata.. No problem.. Awukho inDaba!

Hi,

Have been reading the forum for a couple of years but never posted before. Currently have a 2005 XC90 2.5T. Great car. Prior to this we had a 2002 XC70 which we bought 2nd hand with about 70,000kms on it. Apart from having to replace the tie rod ends and also the transfer case (because the car dealer put larger profile tyres on the front then the rear to save himself a few $) it was a fantastic car which saved us in a rather large accident. Short story is driver of other car pulled out in front of us from a side street t-intersection while we were travelling at approx. 70km/hr. Had nowhere to go and t-boned him. The Volvo did everything it was supposed to and we are very thankful. Ambulance officers who attended the scene actually commented that if we weren't in the Volvo we probably would have not been walking away from the accident but going to the hospital in the back of the ambulance. Unfortunately the xc70 was a write off. Replaced it with the xc90 which we bought 2nd hand with 100,000kms on it for a very good price and got a huge thumbs up from our local Volvo mechanics. Happy days!

I'm a first time Volvo owner. Over the past 15 years I've owned 2 Toyota Tacoma's. This summer my wife and I were married and we have started to try to begin a family. I soon realized that a rear-facing, infant car seat will not fit in even a double cab Tacoma, and on went the search for the family SUV. I really wanted to find something that would still allow me to have a pick-up bed, but then I realized I could just buy something that could tow a trailer. After much searching I found a reasonably priced '08 XC90. I began to do some research and found that it was one of the safest SUVs on the road and had more towing capacity than the double cab trucks I was looking at. In fact pretty much the only drawback to the XC90 that I could find in the reviews was the gas mileage. Even with a V8 at 7000 ft above sea level I'm still averaging 16 mpg. We are also looking at the possibility of 4 kids, so a 3rd row was just icing on the cake. It was in my budget and had everything I needed. I've owned it now for a week and even though I miss my truck my new Volvo makes it easier each day to forget about it.
    • Volvo 2008 XC90 V8 Sport
    • BMW 2004 325i
    • Harley-Davidson 2003 Road King

My story starts with a 19 year old kid hitting my 2006 Toyota Matrix from behind while he was busy texting. I had stopped for a car in front of me, that had stopped for someone in a crosswalk. He decided that he didn't need to even put the brakes on, hit me at 10mph over the limit, pushed my car 4 feet into the car ahead of me, and then eventually we all came to a stop. Insurance company said it was a total loss, and after an independent assessment of the value of the (now) smashed Toyota I was cut a check and without a car.

I had pretty much always been a Toyota driver, but had a 2004 Ford Explorer 4x4 before the Matrix and loved it. However, I ended up in a relationship where she wanted something she felt more comfortable driving and I was commuting a lot and worried about the gas mileage. So we got the Matrix, she was happy, and I soon regretted it as I could no longer get up to the mountains or do the camping I was doing every other weekend in the Explorer. So... since the Toyota was gone, as was that girl, I decide I'd get a 4x4 again and return to the mountains.

I started looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee's based on a few rentals in Alaska that I was really impressed with, as well as 4Runners and FJs. I was trying to stay under $21,000 so I could buy the car with savings plus the check from insurance and I just wasn't finding lots of the Jeeps in that price range. However, I did find a few Land Rover Sports, so I went to test drive one. I liked the Land Rover but I just couldn't accept the possibility of reliability nightmares and really expensive parts and immediately discounted the idea. But... there was a pair of blue XC90s at the same dealer, one being an Ocean Race Edition. I had never driven a Volvo but my friend had an XC70 which I always admired the fit and finish as well as the styling. I decided to test drive one, and liked it, but was immediately concerned that it wasn't a "real off-road" vehicle and that I was going to make the same mistake as the Matrix again.

Some research online and it looked like the XC90 might actually be a pretty capable off-road and when comparing the luxury of the Volvo to the Jeeps and 4Runners, it immediately became apparent that the Volvo was a much nicer car for the price. I was still concerned about reliability and repair costs, but it looked like if I stayed newer than 2008 they seemed to be pretty reliable. I ended up looking seriously for an XC90 and found one about 3 hours away near Seattle. It only had 58,000 miles and the factory certified warranty still on it (but only for a month or so) and they were asking $22,000 for it. I talked to my local Volvo dealer to see if I could get an extended warranty and they said they could do that because it was still under the certified warranty so I decided to go take a look. Ended up buying it for $21,500 plus some fees. $2450 check to my local Volvo dealer and I had a very nice car with 4 years, 60,000 miles of warranty for around $23,000. It seemed like a nice step up, and hopefully a car that should last me a while and get me back up to the mountains.

It remains to be seen if I made a sound decision in getting the car or not. Already feeling like I payed too much because it needs new brakes, rotors, and the 60,000 mile maintenance done which is a lot of cost for something I just bought. Also unhappy because the map pockets on both front seats are torn out at the bottom and need extensive repairs (Got quote at $500 to fix it) and this damage was hidden by the dealer by putting something in the pockets that hid the issue. Getting bluetooth support into the car also has been a pricey affair with my trying out the GROM solution and not being very impressed with it. Then the other day I went to go see about better off-road rated tires and found out that because I have the 17" discs up front I can only put 18" rims on the car and there isn't really any off-road rated tires for them.

So.... at the moment I am sort of frustrated but also liking the car. It drives really well, it has the climate control, heated leather seats, and AWD that I said my next car would need to have, but it also has poor quality audio that seems impossible to upgrade and I still don't know if it really will even be able to get me up to my favorite spots in the mountains yet. I might end up keeping it for a year or two and then see where I go from there but so far it does fix my biggest complaint about the Toyota. The fit and finish seems much, much, better, with only one rattle in the speaker on the passenger door I need to track down.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast