Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Tell your story

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    What a shame
    Yes, make sure that front suspension/front end is fixed properly
    How many miles?

I did fixed it. Got a decent front strut assembly from junkie, all the other suspension bits have been checked and are in order as have passed the drive test.

though its a high mileage 140K miles but man what a ride. We are so happy with the purchase. I will soon put the rest of the pics. from top to bottom.

Believe me, the under carriage is so clean like its new, the engine bay is so clean without any leak any where.

Reason for joining the forum is to seek guidance where I can save some bucks, hence the request of all the interchangeable parts among volvos.

Priority is the headlights. I m searching for the steering wheel as well and have noticed that S60 or XC90 can V shape steering wheel can be swapped easily. I like the half leather half wood of xc90.

Buy a headlight repair kit (any auto store) and try to refinish them yourself
    If your results are not so hot, have them professionally refinished
    They may not turn out like 100% new but in general my results have been quite adequate and they look for the most part very acceptable.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL, but the left side light is broken the plastic is missing on top. aren't there any other volvo compatible light i may look for, else I have to order for a new.

I don't know how much it will cost?

I bought my car used. I never buy new cars, anyway.
    But, I found the car through my trusted Volvo mechanic.
    He posted ads for other Volvos for sale by owner that was how I found my XC-70.
    This one is a 2007 model with a 2.5T engine and AWD.

I read the road tests and I was disappointed with the gas mileage, but the price was very attractive.
    Other than a few minor scratches and some Cheerios under the seats (I love kids, too), it was a pretty good deal.

I never liked my brother's V70. The single turbo was very slow spinning up and there was always a delay in the acceleration and then it came on to hard and too fast. The XC-70 is much smoother and you never notice it's on, except that the car will continue to accelerate with almost no effort well past 100 mph. So, it's as fast as any BMW!

There are some things I don't like about the car, too.

1) The ride and handling are uncertain, as one car expert put it. It drives where you want it, but when you start pushing it hard in turns or avoiding things in the road (like potholes or truck tires), it doesn't handle as precisely as I expected. The anti-sway computer probably has a lot to do with that, but I'm not turning it off.

2) Alignment has been a nightmare for me. I have ruined several expensive tires (those Perilli scorpions) because of alignment problems in the front and back.

3) The radio is great - the CD player, however, stopped working very soon after I got the two year old car. Not cool at all!

4) and there is no backup camera. Worse, there is no simple way to install any kind of backup camera viewer, even if I installed an after market cameras. Even in the 2013 models, it's not found in all Volvos and it's should be in EVERY Car!

5) The transmission's lowest gear makes for slow acceleration from a full stop. (Who makes the transmission? Is it a BMW part ?)

6) Back seat has almost no leg room for adults. Unlike the 240 and 740 models, there just isn't room for adults in the back. It is hard to get in and out of the car, too. Bigger doors ? Larger seats. It's made my wife opt for a full sized SUV. (sad face)

7) The instrument cluster is terrible. Hard to see in bright light. Adding the LED read out in large numbers helped (2013), but I can't read much of anything on the dash in the day time. The glare on the dashboard top was so bad I had to install a flat black cover. These are design problems that should have been caught a long time ago and continue to disappoint me in the current models.

This is my first car. I first started looking into Volvos since my dad already had a 2004 XC70 and a 2006 V50 T5. I really liked both cars, but the V50 was a little small for me. Test drove a few older first-gen V70s, didn't care for them much and started looking at the early P2s.

Made the mistake of buying a 2001 V70 XC without researching first. Did the test drive and the shady seller was claiming the rough shifting meant "it needed new transmission mounts". I went against my better judgement and bought it. For 5 months I drove it with the transmission slamming into every other gear.

Finally the warning light went on and I took it to a local independent mechanic (worked at the Volvo dealer for 15 years prior to opening his own shop) Dropped $2500 replacing the valve body and the steering rack. Transmission seems to be fine now (I'm pretty sure it's the original one). Other than the transmission woes it seems to be a fantastic car. Being 13 years old everything doesn't work (drivers seat has no heat and the rear window wiper seems to have a mind of its own).

Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to updgrade to a V70R, my dream find would be a 2006-2007 V70R with the 6 spd MT and the super-rare Atacama interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to upgrade to a V70R, my dream find would be a 2006-2007 V70R with the 6 spd MT and the super-rare Atacama interior.
    Right, good luck with that!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hi! Proud new owner of 2001 V70XC, 105k miles. Picked it up over Thanksgiving in New Jersey. No power and could not open tailgate, so I crawled over the seats and put a new battery in and it started up fine. Drove it to DC to pick up my kid at the airport. I was excited to demo the built-in booster seats...car would not start! Roadside assistance couldn't get it started either. It had stalled twice at stop lights in NJ, but ran fine after a few miles and had started up several times during the trip to DC. Lights worked, but it seemed like the started might be stuck. Towed to shop. Sat for two days. Mechanic said battery needed charge and then it cranked up for him. Connections were good. Only other issue I noted in my 200 miles with the car: no heat. Mechanic said he also got a immobilizer code once, but it was not popping now, and there was a tear in the drive shaft boot that would need replacing (not sure how critical this is for now). Wondering if non-start and immobilizer code might indicate the antenna ring I read about here. And I will read up here about the heat issue - seems like I recall reading it earlier. I doubt it had the ETM replaced and the 10 year extended warranty expired.

Any tips appreciated as I join the 2001 XC club. Why couldn't it have a more reliable year? Oh well, the price was right! Thanks for the good advice I have already seen here and the friendly group.

Cheers,
    Shane

I all started for me 35 yrs ago when my then GF Colby,had a 740 4 cyl. and I got to drive it all the time.I fell in LOVE with Volvo right then.Her Father bought it for her because he didn't trust her driving skills.Sadly,after we drifted apart as young people do.Her next Bf was the son of a bigshot football team owner and He went around a clover leaf in his 83' Vette a car was coming up the wrong way and..~Killed both of them.My 03' I have now is a good deal I found on CL a few yrs ago now and have been slowly up-dating things.The Turbo for this Cross country XC70 had been replaced as well as the trans.147k is just getting broke in for the long lake trips we take to our condo @ the Ozarks.Best road trip car behind my bmw E-39.Safe,stylish,good on fuel and SOLID doors

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112