Here are some pics that should help:

Many thanks for the pics Tim.
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

Thumbs up Yipee it works!

Finally got around to fixing mine.

I can confirm that this can be done by just removing the side panel of the centre console and the panel under the dash on the drivers side. Was pretty easy in the end. Used the same method of melting a hole in the evap casing. This is probably the trickiest bit -- getting the hole just right so that the sensor will plug into it ok. Used some glue in the end just for good measure. Spliced it into the brown and violet wires and presto -- as good as new!

Many thanks Tim for the pics and sharing the solution.

Where would I be without this forum....
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

What a mission. I live in New Zealand and we all have RHD cars so the info on LHD cars was getting me nowhere. I asked local Volvo agents in Auckland but they had never done such a job and could not help, ditto independent A/C experts. Helpful engineers even suggested my car used a pressure switch saying that there was no mention of this sensor in their manuals. I looked and looked before eventually coming across this post, tearing my car apart and just about breaking my neck trying to peer around. Thank you for telling us which wire-pair to use.. I can now tackle the Timh30 mod with confidence using soldering iron as suggested.

Default EVAP sensor

Quote Originally Posted by timh View Post
    Hi Tim< Thanks for the advice and pictures. Please could you advise where a bouts the wires in picture 5 are found? Is it possible to locate these wire behind the stereo and temperature control dials etc.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Adam

Hi Tim,

May I ask for your confirmation, as for which is the correct "green connector" to do the brown and violet wires?

From your description below, I must first

1) find an old pc sound card cable and connector to connect to the new Evap Temp Sensor
    2) Route the cables to the back of climate unit (Can you elaborate where the back of climate unit is?)
    3) From the last photo, with the "green conector", I have to specifically find the one that has the Brown and Violet wires which will confirm that it is the Evap Temp Sensor wires?

This is description based my observation of your advise (If any wiring diagram highlighted and provided will be appreciated)

Hoping to have your re-affirmation.

Thanks, Z.

Quote Originally Posted by timh View Post
    Also to quote:
    "At this point I decided to go to plan B, which was to replicate the LHD location and make a hole in the plastic casing of the evaporator (in drivers footwell) and run a new wire to it. Drilling isnt really possible due to the space limitation around the pedals, and the risk of damaging the evaporator. So I used a soldering iron to melt a hole the correct size to insert the temp sensor. I then found an old pc sound card cable and connector that plugged into the sensor and routed though to the cables that plug into the back of the climate unit. I then cut the Brown and Violet wires that connected to the old (bad) sensor and soldered the new wires to it. I then put everything back together and thankfully my climate issue of the compressor not switching on and off was resolved"

Default Xc90 Evaporator temp Sensor.

Hi Tim, thank you for this helpful Info. I had decided this is how I would tackle the problem with my Xc90. Knowing the wire color has made it easy. Thank you. The only thing I am not sure about as I cannot see your photos, is which green plug to wire into as I think 5here are two green plugs the are on the back of the climate controller. ? Can you remember which plug I wire the brown and purple wires into.? Thank you. (-:

Tim’s last post was in 2010...so, I doubt he will answer your question.

I think you’ll have to proceed on the write-up alone without confirmation...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Evaporator sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Tim’s last post was in 2010...so, I doubt he will answer your question.

I think you’ll have to proceed on the write-up alone without confirmation...
    Ok thank you for your reply. (-:

Hi Z I needed some info on this sensor replacement. Are you still around to help.? Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123