Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your cooling fan ALWAYS come on when you turn off the car?

I've searched around and haven't really seen anything on this... My 01 XC with 132K has been doing this for as long as I can remember. It seems that any time I operate the car at running temp for a normal commute, say, to work which is only 8 miles on surface streets and freeway, the cooling fan comes on after I turn off the car and runs for at least 10 minutes. I have a hard time recalling any time that it has not come on. Is this normal? I've checked the coolant numerous times and the level is fine. Thermostat seems to be fine according to tech at the shop.

My `04 always does but it may also be the air conditioner fan. That fan will run to clear out any condensation.
    Colin
    Kinuso, Alberta
    Canada
    2004 XC70 25T, Ruby Red
    2002 V40 (Wife's)
    2001 Nissan X-terra
    2006 Suzuki V-Strom

Quote Originally Posted by pags View Post
    I've searched around and haven't really seen anything on this... My 01 XC with 132K has been doing this for as long as I can remember. It seems that any time I operate the car at running temp for a normal commute, say, to work which is only 8 miles on surface streets and freeway, the cooling fan comes on after I turn off the car and runs for at least 10 minutes. I have a hard time recalling any time that it has not come on. Is this normal? I've checked the coolant numerous times and the level is fine. Thermostat seems to be fine according to tech at the shop.
    Hehe, that fan has a mind of it's own. My '02 went through a phase of staying on after every run, lately it's not been doing so, perhaps the external temperature / humidity is a factor? I seem to remember the internal fan coming on as well when you unlocked the car doors if the interior was very hot, it doesn't do that either any more, waits for me to start her up, lol.

yeah, my interior fan comes on 45 or 50 minutes after shutting off the car everytime I use the a/c, but I find it odd that the engine cooling fan runs that long after every time I use the car. Temp doesn't seem to be a factor either. I was driving in about 50 F weather the other night on the freeway, got off to get gas and the cooling fan was running the entire time during the fillup.

It is normal, it's one of the features of this car
    The fan that may run in order to evacuate moisture (after shutdown) is the interior A/C fan.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I found this old thread trying to diagnose my problem. My problem seems slightly different...

For the first time in the 2 years I've owned my 02 XC 70 with 181K miles, the cooling fan has started running on it's own some time after I turned off the engine and drained the battery. After jumpstarting the car, the fan now runs continuously after the ignition is switched off. The only way to make it stop was to disconnect the battery. This is not the AC fan to dry condensation that comes on about an hour after the engine has been turned off but rather the engine cooling fan. This is a new "behavior" for the car and I suspect there is a bad relay, sensor or the like.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was the fix?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	6380

The cooling fan control module can go bad and make the fan run all the time. It's mounted to the back of the fan. A bad coolant temp sensor can cause the fan to run all the time also, but it would probably turn the check engine light on. Check for codes and check live data to make sure the temp sensor is reporting the correct temp to the ECU.

On my 2004, the engine fan comes on for 10-20 sec after shutdown, every time.
    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	6380

The cooling fan control module can go bad and make the fan run all the time. It's mounted to the back of the fan. A bad coolant temp sensor can cause the fan to run all the time also, but it would probably turn the check engine light on. Check for codes and check live data to make sure the temp sensor is reporting the correct temp to the ECU.
    Thanks hoonk! I'll check codes this weekend to see if I can determine which of the two may be the problem child.

If your fan runs then I guess its still working and the behaviour could be due to software problems (maybe I found it from Volvo recalled list). Mine wouldn't run at all! I think its broken but I don't know how to test it. If the fan failed, would it throw a code?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast