Default 07 xc70 30k "service"

Hi.
    I love my new-to-me xc70 and it runs perfectly. The mileage just turned 30000, and the stealer wants $350 for the "service".
    Of course I want to preserve the remaining 2 years of my volvo warranty. I do not see anything important aside from the oil change. Am I correct?

My friend says he will do the oil change with mobile1 and a filter for the price of parts and a sixer of dogfish IPA. That comes to less than $50 with the beer.

Is there any reason to omit the dealer and his $300?

I remember multiples of 30K as more major services.

On the 01, the 30K service calls for replacement of:
    1. Oil and Filter
    2. Air Cleaner Filter
    3. Spark Plugs
    4. Cabin Air Filter

These will total more than $50, I think.

Also inspect battery, brakes, and suspension and lube the door hinges.

Double check your owner's manual.

All doable if your friend is competent. Make sure he has the Volvo oil filter wrench. There are instructions for the cabin filter and other services in the resources section of this website.

Oh, don't give him the IPA till he's done
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

One other thing. If you don't like the "stealer", look for a good independent that works on Volvos a lot. There should be plenty of them in CA, depending on where you are. (I had a really good dealer in CO so I used them - here in WA I am looking for another option)

Default 30k

Quote Originally Posted by slowflyer View Post
    I remember multiples of 30K as more major services.

On the 01, the 30K service calls for replacement of:
    1. Oil and Filter
    2. Air Cleaner Filter
    3. Spark Plugs
    4. Cabin Air Filter

These will total more than $50, I think.

Also inspect battery, brakes, and suspension and lube the door hinges.

Double check your owner's manual.

All doable if your friend is competent. Make sure he has the Volvo oil filter wrench. There are instructions for the cabin filter and other services in the resources section of this website.

Oh, don't give him the IPA till he's done
    thanks slowflyer. on the 07, the air filter isnt until a bit later, the spark plugs not until 60k, and the cabin air filter doesnt matter to me.

thanks for the tip on the special volvo oil filter wrench. so a generic band type or wrench wont do it?

Sounds like you are good to go then.

I think I have seen posts saying that some have used a strap wrench but the filter housing is plastic so I would not use a conventional filter wrench on it. I always like to have the correct tool for a job myself.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...-replacing.pdf

As for the cabin filter, mine was pretty dirty the last time I changed it so I would not overlook it but you might be able to stretch the intervals.
    Last edited by slowflyer; 08-24-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added link

30k is really an oil change and the cabin filter, plus visual checks. The cabin filter is a 5 minute swap, and they do get pretty dirty in some environments. You need to know if you have the basic filter, or the more expensive active charcoal one that goes with the interior air quality monitoring system option. If you skip the dealer, as I do, be sure that you save all of the receitps so you can prove it was done if you have a warranty claim later. Personally, I use a good Indie for the minimum "scheduled" services just to get his invoice saying it was done, and he charges me around $65-85. for most of these. I do all of the other preventive stuff like extra oil changes, early tranny fluid changes, cabin filter, etc., and then pretty much everything once warranty is done.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

A little more tha 20 minutes, maybe 20 and HIGHLY recommended
    350 from a dealer is not too bad depending what it includes.
    However, anyone can do this, just keep good records for any future warranty work.
    I would do an oil change, rotate tires, new cabin filter, new air filter and torque the suspension.

The best arguments for a dealer doing the work is that 2006's will take one or two FREE software upgrades, (Make sure they do them)