Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bevel Gear weeping from Seam?

I've got a 2006 XC70 with a weeping bevel gear. I've attached a picture of what I saw. Now over the last few days I have been checking and even after just 20 minutes of driving there is a small collection of oil on the bottom of the bevel gear case (see second picture where I have highlighted where the oil collects). The amount is a thin film and though the picture distorts the case, the shaded region is parallel to the floor and is the lowest point of the case. It only happens after driving, not after sitting over night. What I'm trying to figure out is where the oil is acually coming from and all I can tell is that it is coming from the seam between the two halves of the case. The passenger half (the shining part) has been dry and only the textured left side has had oil on it. The seam has oil in it also. I am still trying to conclude how far up the seam the oil is present, but the highlighted region in the picture is where the oil film seems to most obvious.

So question, in reading on this site people mention replacing the seals, but from what I can tell the seals refer to ones around the shafts entering the case. Has anyone seen the case itself leak? Can I try to tighten the bolts holding the case halves together? Any ideas on the torque specifications for those bolts? Is this a sign that my bleeder is clogged? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The preview isn't showing my pictures so you can also go here to see them if the pictures don't work.http://www.swanstromphotography.com/.../bevelgearleak

The bevel gear housing leaking is an extremely common issue for which there is a TSB from Volvo. The repair involves removing the unit, disassembling it, and filing a chamfer on the inside edges of the two halves of the unit, and then resealing it. Yours almost looks like the rear driveshaft seal is leaking and yes, it could be caused by a plugged vent. One weird thing I see there is those studs with nuts on the housing......pretty sure there should only be bolts there; the problem with studs is, the tightness of the fastener (the nut in this case), is totally dependent on the tightness of the studs in the housing that they are installed in. This could be a clue that the unit may have been buggered with at one point. If you're getting a drip after just 20 minutes, you should really check the oil level in the unit.....that's more than just weeping you've got there!! Best way to check it all out is to get the car on a hoist and run it in gear, and then watch from underneath to see where the oil is coming out. You don't want to ruin one of these puppies!!!$$$$$$$

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Besides all this, if you have under 50K miles you should be under factory warranty

Thanks so much for the info. Does anyone have the TSB from Volvo? Here in Western Wisconsin, there is no local Volvo dealership. I would like to make some calls to Minneapolis and would like to be able to ask if they can quote the cost over the phone and maybe referring to the bulletin would help them without even seeing the car. I've checked the oil level and though I needed to add some, it wasn't much. I have access to a lift at the school where I teach, but won't have access for a couple more weeks. I will just keep the oil level up though until I can get this fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by danaandtammy View Post
    if they can quote the cost over the phone
    No way they will give you a quote, they might be able to give you an estimate based on typical cost for doing that job.

Called one dealership and they gave me an estimate (sorry about using the word quote) of a bit over $800 (6 hours of labor) and a minimal amount of parts. They sounded very familiar with the situation.

I have the exact same problem with my 04 XC70. What did you end up doing, did you bring the car to a Volvo dealer or did you do it your self? I was looking at pulling my case apart, what do I need to file down?

Yeah that's about right
    I just did one and it needed a new collar gear and I paid about $730 (wholesale which included a $90 collar, not normal but the leaks are)

Make sure that your bevel gear level is at the right level. It's not up to the bottom of the filler hole, but 150ml or so below that level (see Volvo's spec for proper level). I found that if you fill to the bottom of the filler hole, the oil expands and pukes out the breather and makes a mess like you have in your picture. Also as JRL says, leaks are normal but if the level is correct you should only get a greasy film not any real drips.

In any case, checking and correcting for proper level is sure cheaper than $800.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Last edited by billr99; 10-13-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Default I've just kept it filled up

Just as a follow up after over a year, I have just checked the gear oil level at every oil change (every 4 to 5 months) and it has been fine. I do have mine currently filled up to the fill hole though, so I might get rid of some of it as Billr99 mentioned. I too decided that keeping an eye on it would be easiest and most cost effective. It hasn't gotten worse in the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast