Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 V70 XC - Vibrations when braking

As the title of this thread may indicate, my wagon is vibrating when it is coming to a stop upon medium to hard braking. Once at a complete stop, the vibration is gone. Cold weather makes the problem more pronounced.

In doing some research, the vibration under these circumstances would indicate the bushings on the engine mounts have gone bad. I have replaced the easiest one, the top one using the poly replacement from IPDUSA. No change at all. Still having the vibration.

I am now suspicious of the remaining bushings and to _some_ degree, the brakes. The brakes pads, however, have already been replaced. So perhaps the disks themselves may be warped. I think the vibration would be there regardless of how soft or hard i am braking. Beyond that, I do not feel the vibration on the brake pedal, it seems to be coming from the engine compartment and the entire dash will vibrate some.

My question to the forum is this: Can anybody think of what other things may be lurking beyond the brakes and bushings? Am i barking up the wrong tree(s) by thinking this can only be brakes and bushings?

Motor mount bushings are usually diagnosed as an idle vibration, not while braking. The engine torque mount is not really a motor mount at all but a component to hold the engine steady when applying high torque to the transmission. You need to life the engine up to replace the three motor mounts themselves.

Vibration when braking is almost always diagnosed as warped rotors, so much so in fact that it'd be unwise to start anywhere else. How old are the rotors? New rotors can also be warped but if the vibration has started recently then you have to assume warping has happened recently. If the rotors are relatively new take them to a shop and have them look at them, skim them if necessary or just install new ones. If the rotors are old replace them whether you think they are warped or not,

The rotors are original. So perhaps we have something there. I mean it makes sense except i don't feel the vibration on the brake pedal at all.

i would definitely say rotors as well. you may not feel it through the pedal because the power brake booster may be dampning the pulse.
    2003 XC70
    BFG Mud Terrains
    IPD Aluminum Skid plate
    Curt Hitch
    Yakima Basket W/ Spare Tire Mount
    Poly Upper and Lower Motor mounts
    IPD Gauge Rings
    ETC ...........

Default Calipers?

We experienced a very similar problem with our 2002 V70XC. One of the front calipers had developed a sticking problem and was causing severe vibration during braking. The caliper and both front rotors were replaced under warranty and the problem was solved.

you may not feel it through the pedal because the power brake booster may be dampning the pulse.
    You'd feel it if you walked on the brake pedal like an emergency stop!! You'd also see the steering wheel shimmy too if the front rotors are warped.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

warped = not possilbe

overloaded and junked up = yes

replace pads and rotors and be on your way
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    warped = not possilbe

Agree as a possibility. I get a bit of a shudder if I let the daily overnight build-up of rust collect over a few days and only drive a few miles with light braking. I need to go out and pound on the brakes from high speed to put a good clean to the rotors, then I have no shudder. I'm still running stock pads so I'm hoping this goes away with the ceramics I'm going to put on, but I think it is just something I need to deal with because of my locality and its conditions.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    warped = not possilbe

I also agree but before you replace any parts try bedding the pads. These two articles may help.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

It may help clean off the gunk. Worked for me.

Default Shuddering

Well I have had a little experience on this now, I get a shudder when I apply brakes from 30mph and upwards. A local garage told me it is due to the pads sticking to the disc and making indentations, then when you brake the pads jt the dents and this causes the shuddering. I will try and take a picture of it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if it is easy to change the pads and discs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast