Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XC Exhaust Mods

Default Resonator

Did you remove your resonator? I am about to upgrade my ehaust and am trying to figure out if I need it back on or leave it off?
    2001 Volvo XC - 82K Silver/Black trim with Rear Spoiler (for speed) ;-) Current Setup: Elevate/AutoTech ECU Tune, Mobil 1 Synthetic, NGK Iridium Plugs, IPD HD TCV, QBM Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Eibach Sport Springs, XC90 17 Neptune Wheels, Hankook Ventus HRII 235/17 Tires, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, Resonator Delete, R Coil Packs, Lamco (ala Subaru) Boost Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Griff_33 View Post
    Allen,
    A customer at RCE heard my XC fire up after the tail section was completed and thought it was sweet. 5 pots have a very distinct tonal quality that I think we have attempted to capture/enhance.
    If you are in the Northern VA area, I'll demonstrate. This wagon is alive and when you pedal it, it wails now...

BTW: The RCE customer was having a 4" dual conversion done on his '08 SRT-8 Charger. The word he used to describe the new tail section was "SICK"...

Griff
    Im in Nova and I want to hear it!!!!! lol

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I would like to upgrade my exhaust, too, but I'm afraid of losing bottom-end torque by reducing back pressure.

Also, I don't like the note of any of the exhausts I've heard so far on the net.

I heard an Infiniti drive by a few days ago, and that's exactly how I want my XC70 to sound. It had a light rasp to it, and wasn't overly loud. It sounded evil yet subtle.

Just do the JRL mod, (search swedespeed.com), remove the center resonator. Nice VERY MELLOW tone.
    Barely audible, just a nice tone at full throttle but no noise or droning at speed

Default Mock-up Complete

It's sounding rather nice IMHO.

Just a reminder; this puppy is coming off to form a kit... I really think that these puppies will create a look and sound to be admired by all ages and persuasions.
    Griff
    GRIFF
    STAFFORD, VA

'06 XC70 - New Project
    '89 244 - Sold
    '07 XC70 - Sold
    '01 V70 T5M - Sold
    '98 V70R - Sold
    '83 244 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    All it is in the end is an expensive pretty filter
    I purchased it almost nine years ago and never installed it on my R. I can't remember what I paid for it but I thought it might go on something someday...
    GRIFF
    STAFFORD, VA

'06 XC70 - New Project
    '89 244 - Sold
    '07 XC70 - Sold
    '01 V70 T5M - Sold
    '98 V70R - Sold
    '83 244 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Griff_33 View Post
    It's sounding rather nice IMHO.

Just a reminder; this puppy is coming off to form a kit... I really think that these puppies will create a look and sound to be admired by all ages and persuasions.
    Griff
    I'm going to get together with Chris from Swedespeed for his listening enjoyment and a possible audio capture for everyone's listening pleasure soon.
    GRIFF
    STAFFORD, VA

'06 XC70 - New Project
    '89 244 - Sold
    '07 XC70 - Sold
    '01 V70 T5M - Sold
    '98 V70R - Sold
    '83 244 - Sold

Can a pipe be installed in place of the resonator?

My resonator is shot and rather than put a new one in I would prefer to have it sound the way it sounds now.

How about emissions?
    2001 XC Java
    1994 Dodge Dakota 4WD 5 speed 305,000 RIP
    2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
    Can a pipe be installed in place of the resonator?

My resonator is shot and rather than put a new one in I would prefer to have it sound the way it sounds now.

How about emissions?
    Yes. That is "the JRL mod." If you're in eastern Mass, your nearest Lou's Custom Exhaust should be able to do this for around $75 (or around $100 for an aftermarket resonator--that's what I did). This is all downstream from the cats and O2 sensors so it has no effect on emissions; just changes the sound a little.

Quote Originally Posted by duettitude View Post
    Yes. That is "the JRL mod." If you're in eastern Mass, your nearest Lou's Custom Exhaust should be able to do this for around $75 (or around $100 for an aftermarket resonator--that's what I did). This is all downstream from the cats and O2 sensors so it has no effect on emissions; just changes the sound a little.
    If you are in Central Mass., you can have Quality Muffler on Jacques Ave (or St?) do it for you. They do nice work.

Thanks
    Im in SE Mass and will have a friend who owns a garage do the job.
    2001 XC Java
    1994 Dodge Dakota 4WD 5 speed 305,000 RIP
    2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 crew cab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12