Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bevel Gear, VC, or driveshaft?

Or maybe the Trifecta?

98 XC70 wagon, 105K.

Started out with a metallic grinding noise - almost sounded like a stuck caliper or something. Proportional to speed, could only hear it when driving next to something (parked cars, wall, etc)

Then started to get a loud violent THUNK on braking.

Leaking oil/fluid from the 'transfer case' in the rear, according to my mechanic.

So, BG, VC, or Driveshaft? If it's BG/VC/Driveshaft, can i still just make it FWD?

thanks

Sounds like drive shaft and/or bevel gear issues. To fix one is going to cost you a lot, to fix both would be a fortune.

Just take out the drive shaft and be done with it all.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

OK, and this is a complete idiot question - the thunk comes from the back (driveshaft?) and the grinding is coming from the front. Actually, in the front, where the axles connect to the transfer case, is some rust colored dust.

Should i even bother making it FWD, or (again, idiot question) is the bevel in the front, and that's what's making the noise?

Anyone have a diagram of WHERE these pieces are?

The front is probably the bevel gear
    The rear is probably the V/C (or the rear propshaft U joint)
    Regardless, to fix all this would be way more than the car is worth.
    Going FWD (removing the propshaft) will not completely solve the problem

Thanks for the info.

I figured that it wasn't simple.

Anyone want a rather nice looking XC70, strong engine, WAY broken transmission?

Sure!
    Where are you located?

Default Man, you have me nervous now!!!

I wish I could snag your ride too I could use a few backup parts, since the wife wants me to dump my other car!

I'm not so sure though that you COULDN'T make it FWD anyway. I thought I read you could remove everything from the BV back to the rear diff. If the rear diff is shot, then you might be looking at more parts, etc...

But I would also check the carrier bearing in the center. In my old BMW, I had similar noise until the thunk. Which ended up being the center bearing letting loose on startup but once I was in motion the shaft would center itself. Fixed that and kept on rolling.

Not to Block anyone, but man, check it all out!!

and if you get rid of anything on it, let me know. I always take stuff! HA!

Default Been there, bought that

This sounds exactly like the problems I had last summer with my 2000 V70XC. Grinding/thunk led to my replacing the angle gear and the transmission. $8k total repair on a car that was worth about $8k - painful but we thought just barely worthwhile. Anyway, during the course of that protracted business, I spoke with a knowledgeable mechanic in Massachusetts, who told me that most of the XCs in his territory were running FWD only. So I'm quite sure it can be done. Hope this helps.

Default Bevel gear, VC, or driveshaft?

Am I having the same problem? Does this sound familiar?

I have a 2000 V70Xc with 137000 miles. Recently purchased. Just had transmission fluid changes @ dealer. Now heres the problem. Just made a 300 mile trip - no problems. This morning at 22-23 mph a squeal starts - then reducing speed below 20 mph, CLUNK - for a moment, then no noise. Car accelerates fine before & after. Clunk seems to be external from below the car. Any suggestions? We're on vacation in the Adirondaks of New York.

Could be your e-brakes.
    They usually have to be rebuilt every 7-10 years or from rust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast