Default Oily Smoke from under the hood

Hello,
    I have 1998 Volvo XC70. I have only had it a couple months and have put about 3,500 miles on it. I was driving on a long trip yesterday and about 250 miles into it I stopped for gas. As soon as I came to a stop I noticed smoke coming out of the engine compartment. When I popped the hood the smoke was gone but it smelled like oil. I let it run a little bit while I watched and I noticed a few random puffs of smoke coming from between the engine and the firewall. It seemed to be down low. Upon further inspection I found that it had also been blowing out oil (presumably from the oil fill cap) but I was unable to witness that. This is the first time that I have noticed the smoke. I have heard that the PCV's can give problems with these cars and my guess is that is the likely problem. Is this a huge job or is it something I could do in an afternoon (I am very mechanically inclined, I am just lacking time.) My other problem is that I will be leaving in 7 days for another month long business trip. The nearest Volvo dealer is 150 miles away, can these parts be purchased from a local NAPA or Autozone? If not, can this system be cleaned to buy me some time until I can visit a dealer? Is there anything else I can do to buy myself a little more time? Thank you for all your help. I hope I can get this taken care of soon. Oh, I forgot to mention that I am losing about a quart of oil for every 3,000 miles, not sure if this is relevant to my problem but I thought it was worth mentioning. I haven't noticed any significant leakage other than what was blown out with this most recent issue (oil was found on the top of the valve cover.)
    Last edited by krazzz; 07-03-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot some details ;)
    Thanks!

1998 XC70 153k, first Volvo, bought 5/09.

No you cannot purchase them from NAPA you have to get them shipped, www.fcpgroton.com has a kit too.
    It's a 3-4 hour job the first time, you have to remove the manifold to get at the breather box.
    Also buy a new (oil) filler cap

So does that sound like the PVC is my problem? Looks like I also need to get manifold gaskets too. Anything else?
    Thanks!

1998 XC70 153k, first Volvo, bought 5/09.

Quote Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
    So does that sound like the PVC is my problem? Looks like I also need to get manifold gaskets too. Anything else?
    with the miles you have on it its a good place to start. chances are its clogged pretty good.
    if you get the kit from fcp it comes with the manifold gasket
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don