Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ABS/TRACS light still on after repalce ABS control module

Hi There:
    The ABS/TRACS lights of 2001 XC70 are on.
    After I sent the ABS control module to BBA for rebuild, they are still on if I drive about 10~30 minutes. Eventually the CEL is on and the code is P1550.
    Indeed the the ABS control module has been replaced twice but the
    problem persist. The worst is I have to drive long enough to prove (to mechanics) that the problem is not fixed.
    Any one has the same issue before?
    Someone suggests replacing wheel speed sensor.
    I am afraid after wheel speed sensor replacement, the problem persists.
    Any idea and/or suggestions!
    Thanks

I'm having the same issue on my 04.. I will be bringing it back in to my mechanic to see if he can resolve the issue.

Not only does the ABS/TRACS come on but the brake warning light comes on as well and the Brake failure/Stop safely message appears.

Unhappy

Crap..

Last time I had the ABS control Module replaced to solve the issue now its happening again!!!! Coincidentally its almost exactly a year ago...(06/29/2009).

Check all the ABS system electrical connectors for loose, rusted connections, broken wires. A broken wire connector at the rear differential was my problem.

The actual dash light doesn't always go away whrn a new unit is installed.
    Did you actually CLEAR the code?

Currently my XC70 resides at my mechanic and nervously awaiting the prognosis.

I had the ABS light come on a couple of months ago as well (intermittently), but the ABS was still working. The only annoying thing about it is the cruise control does not work when this light comes on.

I went to a local Volvo Master Mechanic who replaced the control unit with a rebuilt that he had sent to repair somewhere in the US (I think it was Florida). He also suspected that it was the soldier joints that cracked on the control board.

Everything worked fine for a week, and then the light came on again. I've called the mechanic and he said to bring it back in to read the error codes to see if he could narrow down the problem further. I'll keep you posted on what he finds out.

Cheers,

not all abs modules rebuildable. ive had 2 so far, one out of audi and one bmw. and bba couldn't do anything about it.
    p1550 looks like engine code, abs codes start with "c"
    you need to find somebody who can read abs codes and then you can get some idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by linux168 View Post
    After I sent the ABS control module to BBA for rebuild, they are still on if I drive about 10~30 minutes.Eventually the CEL is on and the code is P1550
    Thanks

I had all these symptoms as well. Turns out the ABS module was fine, a wheel sensor wire was the culprit in my case. I have a philosophy about these things... something my 01 XC taught me and that is when CEL or other lights are on, I start with a code search on this forum and SS, then out of the possibilities I start with the cheapest and work my way to the more expensive repairs.

Good luck!

Diagnoses of the wheel sensor at the abs module wiring harness should read around 1200ohms. If you are reading infinity or well below 1200ohms you could have a faulty sensor or broke wire.
    Pins 1(+) and 2(-) for the front driver sensor,
    pin 5(+)and 6(- )rear driver,
    pin 19(+) and 20(-) Front passenger,
    22(-) and 23(+) Rear Passenger.
    *the pin # designation is written on the abs module where the harness plugs in.
    I tried to run a wire from the ohmmeter inside the car with leads in the harness to record the resistance of the sensors when the car was moving but it didn't work so well. Theoretically the resistance should change according to the speed you are going.

Is it possible to clear the code by unhooking the battery or by using the obdII reader? My abs light comes on in ignition positionII and stays on when I start my car. The tracs light comes on after driving a couple moments....when I reach speeds of 15mph.
    Last edited by 01VolvoXC70; 06-16-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast