Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy XC90 No High Beams

Help!! My XC90 2004 FWD with HID headlights has no bright lights. Everything seems to work except when I hit the bright lights the indicator comes on, the headlights move up but no high beam lights on. Happens on both sides and the bulbs have been checked and are good. Checked fuses and I have proper voltage on the engine compartment fuses 20 and 21 when I switch high beams on. Does anyone have a diagram of the headlight assembly itself. There is a sensor in both headlights and i don't know what it does. I know the DRL's are supposed to go off when the brights are on but I don't get that action either. The DRL's stay on when the high beam indicator is on but no bright lights. Help Me Please!! My XC90 has 102000 miles and never had much trouble at all since I bought it new in 2003.

There is a relay attached to the Central Electronic Module (CEM) that controls the main beam (and a separate one for the low beam). I would guess there is a possibility that relay has failed or is not properly seated. It should be located under the dash on the door side of the drivers seat area.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

My lights are the HID but there is a separate halogen bulbs for the high beam. I just can't figure it out as the 12 volts is at the fuses for the high beams but no light. The wiring diagram i have doesn't show what is going on inside the light assembly as there is a little black box inside mounted near the Xenon light with wires going in and out of it. The DRL and high beam signals go to it. I can't believe both headlight assemblies are bad as each has this box. I tried the relays under the dash but no help and I measured the 12 volts at the fuses (20 and 21) in the engine compartment and it is there when I switch to high beams. The wiring diagram I have does not match my light wiring as my high beam signal goes to pin A6 and the DRL goes to A1. The signal (12 volts high beam) is at the plug but it has something to do with what is going on inside the head light assemblies with this little black box but i have no wiring for it.

If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly the relay (Volvo Wiring Diagram component 2/63) is between the fuse and your high beam units. Because of this I believe it would be possible for you to have power at the fuse but not have power at both headlights unless the relay is properly functioning.
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I have the high beam voltage at volvo wiring diagram point 11B20 and 11B21 (also on other side of fuse) and my wiring diagram shows these two wires going to A1 on each headlight assembly. It is actually going to A6 on both headlight assemblies and A1 comes from DRL circuit on my volvo xc90. If I put my switch in the O position nothing changes except I have to hold the bright switch to keep brights on (normal). I thought the low beam (xenon) should go off and the DRL's stay on in this position because the daylight sensor turned the low beams off. I get really confused as to what should be on and what lights are actually the DRL lights. I believe that daylight sensor is the little black box in my headlight assemblies. Do you know if that is what they are? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyc2 View Post
    Help!! My XC90 2004 FWD with HID headlights has no bright lights. Everything seems to work except when I hit the bright lights the indicator comes on, the headlights move up but no high beam lights on. Happens on both sides and the bulbs have been checked and are good. Checked fuses and I have proper voltage on the engine compartment fuses 20 and 21 when I switch high beams on. Does anyone have a diagram of the headlight assembly itself. There is a sensor in both headlights and i don't know what it does. I know the DRL's are supposed to go off when the brights are on but I don't get that action either. The DRL's stay on when the high beam indicator is on but no bright lights. Help Me Please!! My XC90 has 102000 miles and never had much trouble at all since I bought it new in 2003.
    Stupid question but do you have the light SWITCH turned ON?

With voltage at 11/B/20 and 11B/21 I am at a loss to understand what is going on, not to mention the fact that the wires are going to A6 rather than A1. I hope someone can offer help on this.
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

x2 - With DRL, if the headlight switch is not in the ON position the high beams
    will not turn on...
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

It's not a stupid question about having the light switch on. The bright lights will not work in any position of the light switch. I thought during the day the low beam would go off and the DRL turn on (light switch in position O) but I get the same indication no matter which position the switch is in. Here it is:

Xenon light on
    Both headlight position/parking lamps lit and the all the rear lights that are supposed to be on.

If I hit bright the Xenon moves up but that is all. Happens on both sides

Default Found Solution

Found the solution to my problem was not a problem at all. The high beams are working. What is not working is the DRL's (halogen bulb next to Xenon). I bought this car new but apparently some where along the line the dealer turned these off for me. I have only had this serviced at Volvo and have 102500 miles on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast