Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bull Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    hmmmm

I think if you get run over by a car the bull bar is going to be the least of your concerns ......

I think the wheels or the underside is my biggest

Also I dont like it when pedestrians smudge my paint
    ACTUALLY,

Three points.

1. The XC70's nose is designed to reduce injury to pedestrians. If you hit anyone with a bull-bar on the front, chances are you could KILL them outright. If you don't kill them, they'll wish they were dead with the severity of injuries they'll face.

2. From an insurance perspective, your insurance could deny you any coverage or claims if you have a bull-bar on the front that causes additional damages to your vehicle or other vehicles in an accident if you don't tell them you have it installed.

3. You could face additional fines and police charges if its found your bull-bar accessory directly caused additional injuries and damage, including jail time, especially in Europe. I've seen it happen here in Alberta - few years ago a guy driving around with a snow-plow on the front of his truck killed a pedestrian. The unnecessary accessory was the primary factor in the fatality and he had to fight (unsuccessfully) additional charges, including Vehicular Manslaughter. The bull-bar could be viewed the same.

I do think that bull-bars look cool but if you want more lites, you could add them to your roof or mount them under your bumper. We always need to think about the consequences of our actions. If we're racing a XC70 in rally's, then sure - lets load her up with more lights than a christmas tree. But if we want to make our Volvo look pretty with bull-bars, it's not very Volvo-minded as they are about safety, including pedestrians - so are most of the owners.

Don't expect many praises for the safety-minded crowd here.
    Last edited by Forkster; 08-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.

I don't have a problem removing my bull bar when I plan on driving on the sidewalk, but, if pedestrians are in the road, then they're fair game and like someone else said, they don't half smudge the paint.....

I agree with Forkster and cannot understand why these things are allowed on public roads.

Interesting topic.

There is some related commentary mid-way down this page from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: ( http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/pedestrians.html ) - in response to item #9.

If you go to the Euro NCAP site that the IIHS mentions, ( http://www.euroncap.com ) it looks like in Europe, in addition to rating protection to a vehicle's occupants in a collision, they also rate protection to pedestrians when hit by a certain model of car. I wonder if any of our European members have seen or heard of this new rating yet?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    I agree with Forkster and cannot understand why these things are allowed on public roads.
    So bull bars should be outlawed? if a pedestrian gets hit by an 18 wheeler, that would do more damage than a Volvo front end, BAN THEM FROM THE STREETS!!! as was previously stated, peds on the road=fair game. some of us want these to keep things from smashing through the grill, keep in mind, not everyone driving these cars are yuppies driving around inner city all day. there aren't any pedestrians where i live. i don't want a bear going through my radiator. yet another good thread wasted by people interjecting their unwanted opinions.
    2003 XC70
    BFG Mud Terrains
    IPD Aluminum Skid plate
    Curt Hitch
    Yakima Basket W/ Spare Tire Mount
    Poly Upper and Lower Motor mounts
    IPD Gauge Rings
    ETC ...........

Here is a pic of my xc with the bull bar.

My brother in law and I are currently working on a basket to mount to a rear bar for a winch that I have. We are also building a roof rack and side bars to match this setup. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have the rims and suspension done and all the guards on. I work in the city but I live in the country here and help the farmers out. Plus the best beach spots here are located off the main roads.
    My brother in law worked for Toyota R&D until we opened a shop up here about 5 years ago. We usually do more VIP or road course cars. This is the first offroader or XC for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by japanxc View Post
    Here is a pic of my xc with the bull bar.
    that is all win it brings a tear to my eye
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Quote Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
    I don't have a problem removing my bull bar when I plan on driving on the sidewalk, but, if pedestrians are in the road, then they're fair game and like someone else said, they don't half smudge the paint.....
    HAHAHAAHAHAHH agreed
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Default Bull Bars

Any news on the custom build/project?
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    HST-RIP