Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Hey, it isn't a mouse in my pocket!

I'm going to check on the creaking I'm having with the doors open as well, though I feel like it is coming from the suspension rather than the door. I did lube up the rear hatch mechanism, but I just used a silicone spray, not WD40 or anything "greasier". It seems to still squeak. All of this just started in the last few hundred miles, BTW. I had nothing happening until then. I thought it was coincidental to the heavy rains and humidity in the last few weeks here in OKC, but now I can tell from the other reports that I've got to call the dealer. This is why I love this forum! If anyone knows how to get the service bulletins from www.volvotechinfo.com without paying for them, please share!
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

The other way to find them my source tells me is on the home page, hover your mouse over to "Store", then hover again to "Service/Parts Literature", then click on "Tech-NET Notes". Choose your model and year from the drop down menu and you can see the TNN`s. But apparently there used to be a leak somewhere online, where all TNN's were viewable without paying. They figured it all out and locked it all since then...

Guess too many of us went into the dealer with a printout of the TNN that applied and they got tired of those customers who know more than them!

I know the same thing happened to Audi 5 years ago. I used to go in and complain of a problem, and once they told me they were going to charge me to fix it, and I pulled out the bulletin that said it was supposed to be free of charge! Or if they gave me the "operating according to factory specs" line, I`d show the the bulletin that said in fact there was a known problem...

I'm planning on getting out my rhino ramps and driving the car onto them and trying various doors open to see if I can narrow down the noise. My parking spot's too tight and I'm worried an open door will hit a wall.

I had the same nosie on my car too.
    It was the engine mounting rubbers that where too soft so the engine touches the frame or whatever. They changed it and now no problem.
    I am very sure it is the same problem on your cars since it is the exact same noise.
    First I thought it was the drivers seat that caused the problem since that was exchanged allready.
    Last edited by kave; 06-03-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiry View Post
    It's going back to the dealer tomorrow so they can try again. Will update you tomorrow.
    Ok it’s back, and guess what - it’s fixed! I am however a bit sceptical, not sure why though. Apparently they took all the trim off, the seals etc and the plastic door guard things, and tightened and greased everything up and put it all back together. It passed my drive way test so it looks like the jobs done. We'll see if it comes back.

Lotus99 I watched your clips - your problem sounds a lot worse than mine, but it was a similar sound, so maybe there's hope.

They also fixed the vibration sound coming form the front passenger window/door. I traced it to the door sill around the lock (apparently called a stib - who knew?). I'm guessing they tightened it up - forgot to ask, as I was more worried about the creaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kave View Post
    I had the same nosie on my car too.
    It was the engine mounting rubbers that where too soft so the engine touches the frame or whatever. They changed it and now no problem.
    I am very sure it is the same problem on your cars since it is the exact same noise.

First I thought it was the drivers seat that caused the problem since that was exchanged allready.
    Hi, which noise are you referring to? The body flex creaking? Or the noises when the front driver's wheel or rear passenger one go over a bump?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Hi, which noise are you referring to? The body flex creaking? Or the noises when the front driver's wheel or rear passenger one go over a bump?
    I don't know the difference, I just hear the sound when you go over the bump, exact same I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Hi Lotus,

As with Kave it was difficult to pin down a difference. The suspension creaking can also be mistaken with body flex creaking (they may be one and the same).

The XC70 has a front subframe (not sure about a rear) that is mounted to the monocoque using bushes. The noise is audible from the exterior and also manifests as a creaking noise from within the cabin. The source of the interior noise usually sounds like one of the front seats is creaking, or from somewhere else inside. This is a known problem and replacing the bushes with a new design will cure most of the creaks that are audible from the outside.
    The body flex creaking can be a number of things, but the tailgate (especially the electric openining version) can creak if not set correctly. Again I've had that problem and an adjustment to the latch solved that creaking problem. My car is now creak free. I now have minor rattle problem from the top trim on the passenger door.

Cheers,

Georgea

Interesting. They sound quite different to me in the car. The body flex ones are lower pitched creaks I'd say while the suspension ones seem to be higher pitched squeeks. But maybe they are the same, and sound a bit different in the car because I'm driving quite slow out of my parking spot when the body flex noises appear vs. over the bump in the road.

Once I've been in to the dealer for the fix, I'll report back.

This is insane...I can only imagine how pissed you guys must be getting...especially you Lotus...It seems you have a weekly problem to report...

I've been following this place because I'm considering a Volvo. This kinda stuff makes me wonder...With the money we pay for these things in Canada you would expect more...

As long as they sort the problems out I guess it's all good but when you start to feel like you are living at the dealership it gets old and starts to detract from the "buying experience". I had this problem with a hyundai years ago...Everything but the door fell of that thing...I would expect this from Hyundai but not from a vehicle in the price point of a V70/XC70...

Good luck

I have the same groans and creaks with my 08 XC70. It had a very bad tailgate rattle that was finally fixed after 3 trips to the shop. The groans and creaks have not been fixed. I just turn the radio up.

Having had 3 Volvo's in a row this car has had more issues than any of my other cars combined. The XC70 has fit my needs very well but I have to say I'm beginning to loose confidence in the car and brand. When the time comes to change cars I will probably look at a different brand.
    Morrie

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast