Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

What is strange is that the 03-07 XC70's are relatively trouble free. The odd issue but nothing WRT rattles and creaks. My 04 is still a very quiet auto to drive. Compared to the previous car I own, a Nissan Maxima, my P2 XC70 is a gem. Even the plain-jane Honda Civic I owned for 7 years had $2000 worth of gearbox problems.

Of course, we could all go buy a Lexus RX - but that's as exciting to drive as it is to watch paint dry. It would be trouble free (painfully boring) and it would retain its value nicely. But I would rather be hit in my Volvo than in any Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW.

Default Quick update

Well, they fixed the major squeaks that came from the suspension, so it sounds like the bulletin they picked was the appropriate one. I've not gotten my papers back yet.

Do you think an alignment is needed after the front subframe rear bushing is replaced? Not sure if I'm imagining things, but above 65 MPH, the car seems to vibrate a bit on the highway.

The driver's door creaking (when it was open) got fixed with some good old lube.

But the other annoying creak from the B pillar from my first post is still there, which I had suspected, as they greased the latch thinking that's where the noise was coming from. This one's going to be tougher I think to resolve, but I'm not going to give up. It will be tougher to replicate at the dealership too, since it seems to be coming from body flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiry View Post
    Ok it’s back, and guess what - it’s fixed! I am however a bit sceptical, not sure why though.
    It would seem my scepticism was well founded - the creaking (sounds like it is coming from the B pillar) is back. It was ok for a few days, but not now. I have not told the dealer yet, but I will take it back.

It's odd, but the creaking sound sounds less severe, so may be they are on the right track. I've started reversing into the driveway so it doesn't depress me as much! Funny actually that the creaking sound doesn't appear when going up the drive way in reverse!

I'll keep you posted Lotus99.
    Last edited by Weiry; 06-13-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Well, they fixed the major squeaks that came from the suspension, so it sounds like the bulletin they picked was the appropriate one. I've not gotten my papers back yet.

Do you think an alignment is needed after the front subframe rear bushing is replaced? Not sure if I'm imagining things, but above 65 MPH, the car seems to vibrate a bit on the highway.

The driver's door creaking (when it was open) got fixed with some good old lube.

But the other annoying creak from the B pillar from my first post is still there, which I had suspected, as they greased the latch thinking that's where the noise was coming from. This one's going to be tougher I think to resolve, but I'm not going to give up. It will be tougher to replicate at the dealership too, since it seems to be coming from body flex.
    I'm pretty sure you need the alignment. From what I can tell (and I asked my Dad the mechanic) the toe setting may be affected. Check your papers, if they didn't align it, make them!
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Quote Originally Posted by OKCXC70 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you need the alignment. From what I can tell (and I asked my Dad the mechanic) the toe setting may be affected. Check your papers, if they didn't align it, make them!
    Thanks for the reply OK. That's odd. I asked my dealer actually about whether an alignment would be needed after this repair, and they replied that none of the suspension components were touched, so there would be no reason for the alignment to go off.

I mentioned that I was getting vibrations though about 65 MPH that I wasn't getting before, and they said that bad alignment doesn't cause vibrations, it causes bad tire wear or car pulling to one side.

The car's not pulling when driving straight as far as I recall, and it's too early to tell tire wear, but are they correct that vibrations are not caused by bad alignment? Is it just bad wheel balancing that causes that?

Not sure how I can convince them otherwise the alignment needs to be checked if (I assume) the tech bulletin hasn't requested that they do an alignment afterwards.

Go back and tell them to do a 4-wheel alignment. When it is put back together after the bushing is replaced, they are supposed to realign everything. The last step is to "check alignment". Subframe movement will allow your entire geometry to be off, so theoretically, it should be better than before. Subframe bushings hold the rear drive assembly and suspension to the chasis. Ask them if they are willing to replace your tires when they show excessive wear from bad alignment. Also, a newer, firmer bushing will transmit vibration to the interior if the rest of the bushings aren't in the best of shape either. While they're aligning it, they ought to make sure the differential bushing and motor mount bushings are good. Don't take no for an answer!

PS--I just paid the $6 for the service bulletin RTJ17644-2009-05-06 and it doesn't say anything about checking the alignment of the vehicle. However, any time you mess with suspension parts you are supposed to align the vehicle. Seriously!
    Last edited by OKCXC70; 06-16-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: additional info
    previous:

Default Tailgate creaking

I had the same creaking at 5000 miles. Dealer greased the latch and the problem is gone.

Hi folks

First-time poster here, just picked up an 8-month old XC70 D5 Ocean Race a week ago and this thread seems very relevant. First impressions are a lovely car, but I've noticed the squeaking/groaning noise as well, in two areas:

1) When going over speed bumps (of which there are loads where we live ), a mid-pitch squeaking/creaking from the rear of the car. Seems worse if there are passengers in the rear
    2) When turning right, a lower-pitched groan/creak from below the drivers seat (similar to that in your vid Lotus99)

Had already decided that it needed to be sorted by the dealer, but just want to check I'm not missing anything before I do. What I plan to do is:

- Go back to the dealer and go out for a drive with the sales guy and a senior technician to recreate the problem (want to make sure they know exactly what I expect to be fixed!)
    - Tell them to sort it so that nothing squeaks or creaks at all (pointing them in the direction of RTJ17438 rear bump rubbers, RTJ17644 front subframe rear bushing, and RTJ18838 tailgate creaking, as well as anything else they diagnose themselves)
    - Once they have fixed it, do realignment including full wheel alignment

I'll let you know how I get on, but before I go to the dealers just had a couple of quick questions for you knowledgable folk:
    1) Do you think I've missed anything in terms of how to approach this and pushing the dealers in the right direction?
    2) I had a look at the volvotechinfo website (haven't bought anything as on principle don't see that I should be out of pocket on this), but does anyone know whether the references (RTJnnnnn) are official Volvo ones - i.e. if I quote it to a dealer will he be able to look it up, or look at me as if I'm mad?! Also, does anyone know whether those sort of bulletins are country-specific (i.e. are the ones on that site specific to US), or general bulletins that should be valid in the UK as well?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to being a member of the forum (hopefully with a non-squeaky XC70 soon ).
    Last edited by Magslad; 06-17-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Those are the numbers the dealers go by for bulletins. They are not country specific, as it is pretty much the same car all over the world except for the side it drives on. Make sure when you MAKE your appointment for service that you let them know you know it is a known problem. They are less likely to brush you off as a complainer. You don't need to go in with guns blazing, just let them know you have a clue. Cheers!
    previous:

Thanks for the advice, that's good to know. I'm always very courteous when I speak to the dealer, but equally I won't be brushed off so hopefully I'll get the right result.
    2008 MY09 XC70 D5 Ocean Race

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast