Default "Service" vs Plain Old Oil Change

What is the difference between a service and an oil change?

I can get a lube and oil change for about $80 at a local Jiffy Lube. On the other hand, I can pay $400 for the routine maintenance "service" at my Volvo dealership. Up to now, I've been paying the dealership, but times are tough and looking to save a few bucks. Should I continue to spend, or should I save?

Been awhile since I last posted--good to see the forums are still active.

PS... Random Volvo photo from our stay in an English-owned gite in the Calvados region of Northern France, outside Normandy.

Hmmm - both the $80 and the $400 seem high, but it's probably due to regional differences - I can see Alexandria being an expensive place to live.

As for the services, I'd suggest you look over the maintenance schedule and decide which ones are more meaningful than others. Many are just an oil change and a hand-full of 'inspections', but some include various other filters, spark plugs, fluid changes, etc.

Personally, I'm a miser, so I do my own oil changes in the summer and go to the garage at the end of the block in the winter. The other stuff I try to do on my own. PA has a mandatory annual safety inspection, so much of the 'inspection stuff' happens then.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

If you want an oil change come to my house (arlington, va) lol 80 dollars is insane... I will do it for the price of oil and a filter plus 15 bucks haha

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

I would hate taking my car to a place like Jiffy Lube. I like to know exactly what's going on with the inner-workings of my car, and Jiffy Lube does not have a great reputation.

Learning to do simple things like oil changes by yourself can save your a surprising amount of money!
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post
    I would hate taking my car to a place like Jiffy Lube. I like to know exactly what's going on with the inner-workings of my car, and Jiffy Lube does not have a great reputation.

Learning to do simple things like oil changes by yourself can save your a surprising amount of money!
    ^^^Well said... Like I said before I would be more than happy to teach you.

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Default From a Dealer Service Advisor

I work as Service Adisor at a Honda store in B.C., Canada. I will explain it this way.
    In the good old days, it was a "better deal" to get a Service Pkg. then to break it out individually. But that was in the late 80's to mid 90's. But like everyone else trying to make "Buck $$$" it is not the case anymore!!!

For instance we Honda Dealers here agreed to a "Same Price Service" for all dealers in the City. Here is the example as follows.......

A Type C or 3 Service. Lof, Svc. Frt & Rr. Brakes, tire rotation, lots of inspection (tires, exh., susp., strg. etc.) will cost $257.88

But if I the, Service Advisor word it this way. Oil & Filter change, front & Rr. brk. service, n/c tire rotation. You would get the same thing above for $156.00

Plus shop supplies (rip off = dealer pricipal's Tax), disposal fees & 2 taxes (govts.)

The technicians do not get paid more for Services, it just the Dealer Principal & General Manager that benefit.

By the way, both will get you a car wash and vacuum afterwards.

The best advise I could give you is do your home work, read the Owners Manual, get a printed list of what is done on the Service you are looking for, and understand the difference between inspection and actual physical work & part replacement on the so called "Service Package". Don't be afraid to ask questions.