Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

I have a 2005 XC with 169,000 miles on it.

Nothing other than a brake job all around, regular fluid changes (never changed the steering fluid though), a timing belt change since I've had it, and several tires. I have changed the spark plugs twice and gap them every 20K, and change the air filters often. I don't use K&N as I'm afraid that oil will do something to my MAF sensor...like kill it!

I think screwdrivers, nails and ratchets are attracted to my car tires!

If I understand it, the P2 platform does vary a bit in small items due to upgrades on the '04, '05, '06 and '07 models.
    Y'all are starting to scare me a bit with the "front end" problems. Mine seems just fine and tight when I check the links and bearings for looseness.

Nearly all of my driving has been interstate and US highway miles, sometimes putting 1200 miles on it in a weekend, I wonder if this helps or hurts it?
    Always heard that interstate driving is worse for a car than a rough road at slow speeds.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightt; 08-13-2009 at 10:47 PM.
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

2002 xc70 with 164000 miles.
    bought in 03 with 15000 miles. Looked like previous owner never changed the sludge, I mean oil.
    Body is holding up remarkably well for Michigan winter salt bathes.

2 sets rear wheel bearings.
    1 set front wheel bearings
    Ign switch that left us stranded when it locked in the off position and had to be towed and replaced.
    Tires get unacceptably noisy every 30,000 miles. Alignment checked twice and OK twice.
    4 different styles, brands of tires tried. Michelins + Pirelli
    Upper engine damper
    Control arm bushings
    Sway bar links twice
    brakes and rotors once
    Now the Climate Control Module has gone inop after battery replacement. Not fixed yet
    Welded broken rear exhaust bracket at 80,000, still original exhaust.

Cleaned Mass air flow wire two times and got the check engine light off for free.

OIL, tried Valvoline synthetic--junk
    Switched to Mobil one--junk
    Now on Amsoil and it is noticeably better. I'll stick with it

Good news is the trans is original with one fluid change at 125,000 miles
    No bevel gear issue. Fluid looks like new and is original.

Love the car. don't like the nickel and dime repairs (actually $500 to $1500 repairs at the ripoff dealers[mad2)

Love this website. Has saved me thousands by doing most work myself now.
    i'd get rid of the car if I had to have Volvo dealers do the work and get a Ford.

There, my laundry is aired. thanks
    2002 xc70 Ash Gold
    160,000 mi, with orig trans

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    Nearly all of my driving has been interstate and US highway miles, sometimes putting 1200 miles on it in a weekend, I wonder if this helps or hurts it?
    Always heard that interstate driving is worse for a car than a rough road at slow speeds.
    I honestly think these cars really do best on long drives, with as little city driving as possible. Driving on the freeway is easier on the engine than stop-and-go and the oil always heats up to the proper temp. Less wear on steering components, since at high speeds you need very little steering force as opposed to doing 90 degree turns all the time. Tires may get hotter, but they won't wear as quickly since there is less acceleration and braking. Speaking of brakes, they'll last longer too since you shouldn't brake that often on the freeway. Going at speed on highways reduced the amount of carbon deposits and other junk that accumulates from driving short distances with little time to warm-up.

I'm pretty confident you could put almost any of these cars solely on the freeway and they'd really run forever. Your 2005 XC with 169,000 miles is probably in much better shape than my 2000 XC with 129,000 miles.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    Y'all are starting to scare me a bit with the "front end" problems. Mine seems just fine and tight when I check the links and bearings for looseness.
    My front bearings wore out without any play in them at all, quite the opposite in fact, they were binding. Age of components is another factor to consider alongside miles driven which is perhaps why you have not seen the need to replace much. Bushings and seals harden with age while pot-hole free highway miles may put hardly any wear on them at all.

my 01 has 209000mi on it, trans replaced at 160000 and 165000 lol.

180,000 with tranny replaced at 158,000 before I bought vehicle. Just got done putting a magnefine filter in the transmission to keep it going. I am hoping to get the car up to 300,000 at least.

Default high miles

I have 261,000 miles on my '01 XC. Bought new. Hoping to go to 300,000. Still on original trans and fear that will be the one thing to go because I pull a 2,900 lb boat over 2,000 miles a year. Did trans fluid and timing belt once and now doing a second time before winter. On my second set of brakes and rotors. All 4 wheel bearings have been replaced as they failed. Car was rear-ended by an '07 Outback going 30mph 1 yr ago. My car was driven away with only scratches to the rear bumper (thank you trailer hitch). Outback was severly modified in the front, including deployed airbags. I have gone through countless light bulbs and I can now replace them with my eyes closed. Have had to do alot front end work and will likely flip for the control arm bushings next. Not sure I would buy another, at least not new.

Default 2005 xc 70

197,000 mi
    second owner

2004 XC70 with 81,000 miles. No major repairs at all....just fluid upkeep and rear breaks.

Ive just done 180k kms on my 02 XC