Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please help me id this hose ...

Hello all,

While changing engine oil today I noticed this hose has broken into 3 pieces. The top piece of the hose goes under the ignition coils cover. I don't know how long it has been like this and if there is any harm to the engine. Anyway, here are the pictures.

Thanks!

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

I'm afraid I can't tell much from your pictures but the corrugated piece looks like a cable cover. Like the ones that shield the leads to the coils. The hose itself is the cam cover ventilation. If it is in one piece and has no leaks, nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thanks for the response! The corrugated piece is not a cable cover, it fits in between the gap shown in the second picture (in fact it was still attached to the lower portion, but was easily broken off while I was investigating it). I now realize that the whole piece is plastic and the corrugated portion is to provide some flexibility to the piece. So, the whole piece should be called a tube instead of hose. I did find a part number on the piece (30713469), but searching VIDIS yielded no result. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow.

DYZ

Don't bother with the dealer just go to the parts store and get some spiral wrap or split cover. Remove the plastic cover and the damaged wire "tubes' and replace.
    Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Part of PCV system, it goes to the factory catch can.

[IMG][/IMG]
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Yeah, the tube seems to be the crankcase ventilation hose. My local dealer doesn't stock it. So I made a temporary fix by connecting the two disconnected pieces with a short piece of smaller diameter hose. It seems I'll have to remove the intake manifold when I get the replacement tube because the connection to the trap box is buried deep under the intake.

DYZ

So - how do you suppose this thing broke? Had the rubber become brittle? Seems early for an '05 to have a problem like that.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Default Corrugated section

I looked at my ‘03, and did not see the corrugated section on the hose.

I am wondering if that is an “improvement” they came up with in '05 …

Also, IPD's pucture for the 05 hose does not show the corrugated section.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    So - how do you suppose this thing broke? Had the rubber become brittle? Seems early for an '05 to have a problem like that.
    The whole piece is plastic, not rubber, and yes, it is very brittle. There is another section on this tube that is corrugated and I found it is cracked too. I googled and found sites like Edmunds and Carfax mentioning engine reliability issues from MY04 Volve XC70. Here is the comments from Carfax:

"Periodic problems on this vehicle are the failure of the Engine Intake Valves, Leak Detection Pump and Crankcase Ventilation Hose under the intake manifold"

My XC70 is an early build of MY05 - I bought it in Nov. of 2004. So, my guess is that it was still using MY04 crankcase ventilation hose which is a plastic piece. Apparently, this hose (part# 30713469) has been replaced by part# 8692217 due to its premature failure and is the reason why I cannot find it anywhere. What surprised me is that this problem has not been mentioned on this forum until now.

DYZ

Quote Originally Posted by pelagikos View Post
    I looked at my ‘03, and did not see the corrugated section on the hose.

I am wondering if that is an “improvement” they came up with in '05 …

Also, IPD's pucture for the 05 hose does not show the corrugated section.
    Well, it seems to be an "improvement attempt" for MY04 (some early build of MY05 also have it). But it turned out to be a disaster and was consequently dropped by Volvo.

DYZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast