Thread: 235/70/16 Tires

Default 235/70/16 Tires

Anyone runs 235/70/16 tires on her/his XC70?
    How is it?
    Thanks for any comments

In a nutshell, they're going to be taller. I don't my calculator with me, find a chart on-line. That's going to increase the effective gear ratios making acceleration slower, and reduce braking effectiveness becuase of the extra leverage on the brakes.

Why would you do that? A good deal isn't a good deal if it messes up the dynamics of the car.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Taller tires

"Why would you do that?"

Because taller tires will give the car more ground-clearance. I find ground-clearance the biggest limitation to the cars off-road capabilities.

The suggested tire will raise the car one inch. I think that would be a rather significant improvement off-road. The trade-of is probably in on-road handling. I dont think the higher effective gearing is much of an issue. Accelleration might be a little slower from standstill, but should not matter at speed (maybe you will use a lower gear at the same speed). Speedometer reading will be 7,2 % lower than on original tires.

However, I dont know if the tire will fit without rubbing.....

Those tires, then, reduce braking power by 7.2%. And they drop the 5th gear RPM by 7.2%, possibly right out of the power band. I think the clearance will be pretty tight...

I dunno, if you need an inch more clearance, maybe a different vehicle type would suit you better? I've never thought of these cars as real stump jumpers.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Anyone???