View Poll Results: When has your transmission died ('01 and '02 models only)

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • Died Less Than 30,000 Miles

1 0.24%
  • Died 30,000-60,000 Miles

10 2.37%
  • Died 60,000-90,000 Miles

25 5.92%
  • Died 90,000-120,000 Miles

26 6.16%
  • Died 120,000-150,000 Miles

32 7.58%
  • Died 150,000-180,000 Miles

16 3.79%
  • Died Greater than 180,000 Miles

5 1.18%
  • Still Going and currently at 0-60,000 Miles

7 1.66%
  • Still Going 60,000-120,000 Miles

140 33.18%
  • Still Going 120,000-180,000 Miles

123 29.15%
  • Still Going Greater than 180,000 Miles

37 8.77%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Failure at 67,000 miles / 108,000 km.
    Symptoms were the following:
    - when cruising around 70-80 km/hr I would lift off the throttle and when I put my foot back down I would hear/feel a clunk and sometimes a shudder. Towards the end, this started to happen at all speeds.
    - every now and then I would get a shudder under really hard breaking
    - a pretty nasty clunk when shifting from P to D or R started up right towards the end

Default Exact Cause?

What is the exact cause of transmissions going bad?
    It it a mechanical failure? Is it not changing the ATF and not getting the
    updated software? Anyone know?

All of the above
    Do some searching, there are MANY MANY posts and threads on 01 trannies

Default Yepper

Looks that way JRL, I wasn't sure if there was a mechanical fail point and I just wasn't coming across it in the posts. Most of the posts I've read do indeed seem to point to a combination of:

1. Finicky transmissions.
    2. Lack of proper maintenance or lack of proper
    education of maintenance (I blame Volvo for this one... there's no such thing as "lifetime fluids" we went through exact same scenario with Audi.)
    3. Cars not getting updated software when made available (again Volvo
    would actually have to admit to having contradicted itself in regards
    to no maintenance/lifetime trans. & fluids)

Still pushing a 22% failure rate among those who responded....absolutely craptastic!
    Between my '02 XC and my '02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure-a model with final drive issues- I'm living on the edge! Well at least I can replace the final drive bearings and seals on the road!....not so with the XC!
    Cheers,
    Jorge
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    HST-RIP

I have been reading the treads since 55k miles (2nd owner) and am now at 158k. I've read the nightmare XMSN stories and worried when mine would go. I have had angry thoughts toward Volvo, thinking 'how can Volvo ignore these problems? When someone pays as much as they do for a xc70, you are expecting to get your money's worth - a car without problems'.
    None of it bothers me anymore - of course I still catch my dealer BSing me about how my car is going to go into catastrophic failure and they are worried about my safety if I drive it away - each time with the same seemingly generic error codes they try to sell me on - $2300 to fix a laundry list of problems - once I went to the local auto parts store and bought $20 worth of vacuum line and replaced all of them on the car - hey no more problems!

I have been driving my XC70 84 miles every day for work, travelling with the family on the weekends, out on the trails in the woods to get me to my favorite hunting spot - i beat it up. I put ceramic brakes on when the stock brake pads were worn and the only maintenance I do is the occasional rear wheel bearing and oil changes. The only problems I am having are a boost pressure sensor and fuel pump - really not bad to fix if you know the basic layout of the car and how to turn a screwdriver and squeeze some pliers.

You will see the same pattern of information come across any vehicle specific forum thread. Some people have good luck with vehicles, others find the friday-monday lemons. I have had both, with Porsche, GMC, Ford, and two Jeeps, but love my Volvo the most of all.

Point is: Buy what makes you happy .
    Last edited by arctichalo; 10-23-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    One could also argue that forums draw those who have issues and who are looking for solutions.

2001 XC with 129miles. Trans is good....

I have a 2004 but still have a question, according to the poll results and considering the general idea of more people with problems come to the forums, more than 75% of trannies are still working after 8-9 years, is a bad figure?

Default To buy or not to buy?

I know this thread is old, but I am torn. I am looking at buying a 2001 XC70 and love it, but after spending my day working and checking things out on the net, am slightly worried. Do i buy or not. This poll seems to tell me to buy, and maybe the old adage about the vocal minority should be applied? 140K KM, not miles, and seems very well looked after, R90000 Rand.

I have read most of the info on this forum, and many thanks to the people who have left me much more informed.