Default Oil in spark plug area on 2005 XC70

Hi - I have a 2005 XC70 with 170,000 miles - the engine started to miss and run rough, so I decided, as a starting point, to replace the spark plugs as they hadn't been replaced in many miles. When I took the cover over the spark plugs off I found quite a bit of oil, and two of the spark plug chambers had some oil in them. I'm not sure where the oil is coming from, but did see what looks like a breathe tube running right in the area where the most oil was.

I did a little checking and the breather system could be the culprit, but I don't really know anything about how it works. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pat Geraghty

Did you look at PCV cleaning/ replacement? That will most likely clear that up. Its pretty easy to do yourself, and there is plenty of youtubes on it.

2 most likely sources are 1) oil filler cap gasket, these get hard over time and doesn't seal well. Easy to replace and inexpensive 2) PCV as mentioned since it has a tube that goes right on the top. If this is leak source, then PCV system probably needs replacing. Info on how it works in my signature's link. Look under engine section. If PCV hasn't been serviced at 170k miles, its way over due as often clogs up ~100k miles.

I think there is also a seam between 2 pieces of the head down the plug tube. Could also theoretically be the leak source if seal failed but never heard of failure here.
    Last edited by howardc64; 10-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I'm not disagreeing with the more senior members, but it seems to me that this could be the result of spilled oil during filling. If you miss the filler opening when pouring oil into the engine, it seems likely that it could end up on top of the spark plug wells. Not necessarily in them, but certainly on top. Just another thing to consider

Oil can also travel up the spark plugs threads when the turbo is blown or PCV is fully clogged (separated oil has no way to escape but go to intake). That said, PCV is the most likely reason.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Oil can also travel up the spark plugs threads when the turbo is blown or PCV is fully clogged (separated oil has no way to escape but go to intake).
    No it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    No it can't.
    It can when the spark plug is not properly tightened.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rydjor View Post
    Hi - I have a 2005 XC70 with 170,000 miles - the engine started to miss and run rough, so I decided, as a starting point, to replace the spark plugs as they hadn't been replaced in many miles. When I took the cover over the spark plugs off I found quite a bit of oil, and two of the spark plug chambers had some oil in them. I'm not sure where the oil is coming from, but did see what looks like a breathe tube running right in the area where the most oil was.

I did a little checking and the breather system could be the culprit, but I don't really know anything about how it works. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pat Geraghty
    Take a look at the crankcase vent hose that comes out of the head underneath the coils cover. I had the same mess on both my '05s this past summer and it turned out that the hose was cracked nearly clear around right at the fitting on the head. Reasonably priced fix (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...g-hose-8692217). Of course, you should have already checked the usual culprit which is the oil cap seal.

Remember to always check the easy, cheap stuff before you go down the doom-and-gloom route even if the car has major miles on it. Its not always the worse possibility.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Take a look at the crankcase vent hose that comes out of the head underneath the coils cover. I had the same mess on both my '05s this past summer and it turned out that the hose was cracked nearly clear around right at the fitting on the head. Reasonably priced fix (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...g-hose-8692217). Of course, you should have already checked the usual culprit which is the oil cap seal.

Remember to always check the easy, cheap stuff before you go down the doom-and-gloom route even if the car has major miles on it. Its not always the worse possibility.

Cheers,

Bill
    +1

Good advice.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)