Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake noise

Did you put brake lube on the back of the pads where they contact the calipers? Even though the shims are supposed to eliminate noise I still lube where the caliper contacts the pad assembly. Seems to help as I have either not had any noise or eliminated it a couple of times that I forgot to do it on initial installation.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by johnny c View Post
    Where's your axle (safety) stands???
    You mean you didn't see them? They were on the shelf behind the car. Yes, I know, I know. I absolutely don't go under, or place any body part under the car without my stands on.
    -Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Did you put brake lube on the back of the pads where they contact the calipers? Even though the shims are supposed to eliminate noise I still lube where the caliper contacts the pad assembly. Seems to help as I have either not had any noise or eliminated it a couple of times that I forgot to do it on initial installation.

Cheers,

Bill
    Hi Bill...actually I did. The only reason I did remember to do it though was because a little tube came with the pads.
    -Mitch

Mitch,

Well it sounds like you have everything lubed the best as possible and that might explain why you now have no noise. These are a new set of pads on an already used rotor, right? In looking at your pictures, I might suggest that the source of your initial noise might be that wee bit of rust near the hat where the new pads are rubbing. It looks to me that your new pads are just that wee bit larger than the old pads and it takes a few clicks to wear that rust off possibly producing enough minute vibration to create your noise despite the lube in the right places. If you kind of see what I am saying. On the other hand, I've had pad material that initially squealed and it seemed that I just needed to cure the pads a bit and then they quieten down. I once had a really bad set on the rear of my R that took probably 10K kms to finally not produce noise consistently. I would have ditched them except they did work really well.

Anyway, my thoughts on the subject

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input. The rotors were actually new as well, but perhaps you are right, now that everything is seated, my issues may be gone.

We'll see and keep listening!

Thanks!
    -Mitch

Question

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    I once had a really bad set on the rear of my R that took probably 10K kms to finally not produce noise consistently. I would have ditched them except they did work really well.
    Bill,

Happen to know you had brake noise on your R's rear brakes. I'm having squeak on my R brakes and hope you can share your experience and thought.

Mine is 2003 XC with R brakes, all four corners.
    Few weeks ago had 4 new rotors installed. Disks and Pads are all Volvo. Two fronts beded in very well, smooth without noise. But right rear started to squeak 2 weeks ago, only when brake gently. And for normal & hard press there isn't noise at all.

Another thing I found seems the rear brakes got much less braking power transferred. After short trip I can feel both front disks are hot but rears are just warm. I know there is limiter for the rear brakes which prevent rear wheels lock but didn't expect that much different. And this may explain the slow bed in of rear brakes.

BTW, Anti Squeak used when install rotors.

Maybe just need more time for the rears as they bed in more slowly.

Thanks.

Howard
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12