Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake noise

Default Brake noise

Hey guys...

I redid all my brakes about 6 months ago. Everything went well, used high quality parts and had no issues. I cleaned, polished and lubed all of the caliper pins and sliding surfaces. I also bled everything just to make sure there wasn't any air trapped anywhere.

Now about 1 month ago, there seems to be some 'grabbing' a bit on the left front brake. When I coast down my driveway and drag the brake on purpose, it makes a continuous noise. Not metal on metal, but more of a grabbing sound with a bit of vibration. I can feel it in the brake pedal a bit. When I coast to a stop sign and I release the brake slowly, it's a is the left front was releaseing slower than the others and I hear a slight noise and feel a bit of vibration.

Once, while driving, I noticed what seems to be the pads dragging on the disc for maybe 20kms. But I haven't heard it since.

Today, I took the wheel off, checked all of the caliper bolts, slider pin bolts and everything seems fine. There is nice, even wear on both sides of the disk and the pads seem fine. I cleaned everythign with brake cleaner and put the wheel back on. The caliper springs were fine as well.

But....I still get that grabbing/vibration. Thoughts?
    -Mitch

This is just guessing, here are two things that might be worth checking:
    Is the brake spring still properly attached to the caliper?
    Any chance the thin "protecting plate" aka "dust shield" has been dented or bed and is intermittantly contacting the brake disc?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Caliper piston sticking perhaps? When you had the caliper off (or did you?), did you see if you could push the piston back in?

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Caliper piston sticking perhaps? When you had the caliper off (or did you?), did you see if you could push the piston back in?

Dave.
    +1 might be time to do a caliper rebuild http://volvospeed.com/Repair/caliper_rebuild.html
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

yes - i'd go with sticking caliper.

Try braking very hard once or twice and see if the sticking re-appears for a while.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Hi guys...

Yeah, I had the caliper off when I did the brake job. I pushed it in to make room for the pads to fit it.

For the dust shield, I would suspect the noise would be constant.

What about air in the lines? I just remembered that when I bled the system, I only did the rears. If, perhaps, there is air in that line, could maybe explain the fluid "compressing" a bit and hence the piston not being able to hold the pressure. This could perhaps make the shaking/vibrating sound.

Could this be possible?
    -Mitch

Might check this...

I had a caliper bracket that was a tad too small for the pad's ears to glide freely on it.

This was on my rear brake, the pads would jam and wear at a slight angle. This was an outer pad and it wore faster than the other 3 surfaces on the rear pads.

To correct this, I filed the channel on the bracket where the pad's ears glide.

This caused a light scratching rotational noise whenever I gently point my steering wheel left and right a little while going 30-40mph with the windows down. It would disappear when I go straight.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post

To correct this, I filed the channel on the bracket where the pad's ears glide.
    Thanks Howard, I'll have a look when I take the wheel off again.
    -Mitch

Hello everyone...

Well, I haven't had the brake noise for quite a while now actually.

I took a couple of pictures when I did my tire changover yesterday. I'm not sure if anything will jump out at anyone (other than being dirty! Ha...) Those pads and rotors have about 7,000kms on them and although the face of the rotors looks bad in the pics, the wear is very even and smooth. The grey/silver stuf on the face of the hub is the leftover from the anti-seize that I put on the back of my mags to prevent reaction corrosion sticking.

-Mitch

Unhappy

Where's your axle (safety) stands???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast