Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well to all that may consider conducting this modification, IT WORKS!!!

I have driven the car almost 500 miles since the mod, (after replacing a heater core), and it works great. My only complaint is the rear end feels a little swirly in the turns but overall no problems thus far.

Now I have a VC for sale. I will be putting it on ebay shortly.

Now I have a steering rack leak problem. Anyone know of a common cause or seal repair?

Quote Originally Posted by paxc70 View Post
    Well to all that may consider conducting this modification, IT WORKS!!!

I have driven the car almost 500 miles since the mod, (after replacing a heater core), and it works great. My only complaint is the rear end feels a little swirly in the turns but overall no problems thus far.

Now I have a VC for sale. I will be putting it on ebay shortly.

Now I have a steering rack leak problem. Anyone know of a common cause or seal repair?
    Buy a reman rack.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Quote Originally Posted by paxc70 View Post

www.fcpgroton.com
    They sell a real nice aftermarket rack (core exchange) for about $250 or so.
    A decent unit, I've used a couple over the years.
    (There is no "repair kit")

Default details please

FANTASTIC to hear that your mod worked!

@paxc70:

we're dying for details!! Please fill us in!

How did it all fit together?
    Did the FWD driveshaft slide right in to the tranmission?
    With or without the little mini driveshaft/transfer
    Any modifications needed here at all?

Quote Originally Posted by jadnhm View Post
    FANTASTIC to hear that your mod worked!

@paxc70:

we're dying for details!! Please fill us in!

How did it all fit together?
    Did the FWD driveshaft slide right in to the tranmission?
    With or without the little mini driveshaft/transfer
    Any modifications needed here at all?
    Read the whole topic and you will see how it works.

1: you can't use a FWD drive shaft on the right side
    2: you can run it with or without the bevel gear
    3: if you run it without the bevel gear you need to lock-tite the coupler onto the differential.
    4: no real modification needed for AWD to FWD conversion...

I have a used 99 Angle Gear sitting in the garage .....

and less then 2hrs away from you
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Real quick. I'm new to this cause I'm looking for serious help with my 'angle gear' on my 2001 XC70 AWD, 112000 miles. Just like everyone else who owns a volvo with one on.... it leaks....... I've had the seals replaced, dropped the drive shaft and after 200 miles the seals went bad again. I want to get rid of the piece of crap part. I see there is an elimination for it but I see the years are for 1998-2000 (???) Just wondering if anyone knows if the same can be done to the P2 series. I would rather convert it to an XC70 "FWD" and deal with no more leaks and use the burned out angle gear for a door stop. Personally, $2K for just the part is a bit steep. (when a part is more than my monthly mortgage payment I draw the line.....)

It's the same as the 98-00. The 01-02 AWD systems are just as basic as the older version. It wasnt till 03+ that they figured out the system was crap and went with a Haldex VC.

Anyway, if you had the bevel gear resealed it should not leak unless it was over filled, improper fluid was used or the vent hole needs to be updated.

Don't bother buying a new one for 2K which is just insane. Always keep in mind that if you go to the dealer then you will be over paying every time.

I'm so glad its the same as the older systems. I'm going to get right in it. Tired of the 3-9 drips on my garage floor every day. As for the chemical seal, didn't have that done, just the shaft seals. I cleaned if off one afternoon and watched the fluid slowly drip out of the bolts. Noticed they were lose and so I tightened them and 24 hours later they were all loose again. Thought about messing with loctite on the bolts but would rather get rid of the "FAILED" part. This is because my independent volvo mechanic said the new outer gasket on the passenger side went back on a little to loose. This is an oem part too. This car has been in the shop too many times for the same item...... The angle gear. Time to get rid of it and move on to other issues....

Thanks again binglax09 for your assistance with this issue. Look forward in getting educated on future repairs.

OK I think I can do this thing. 1 question though. Shouldn't there be an axle seal on the transmission. I'm being told there isn't one on the transmission (of the AWD) due to the angle gear is taking place of one. I can picture it now: I take out the angle gear and tranny fluid come pouring out on top of me... Funny, but not what I want right now. If anyone has some photos of what the transmission will look like after the angle gear will look like please post them. Also, is there ANY extra parts I may have to get or am I overlooking something from the previous posts?? Ive got to get this crap part out ASAP before I tear up more than I should.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast