Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default $500 for tire chains?

In all my years of driving 4WD/AWDs I've never once been asked to chain-up, but figured I'd finally appease my wife and carry them for our occasional trips to the snow. I called two dealers today and one quoted me $450 and the other just over $500 for the factory chains! Seems a bit steep especially since I highly doubt I'll ever need them. They don't appear to be anything special either.

In fact the tensioning looks similar to the Konig/Thule chains, but have a z-pattern rather than the standard diamond pattern. The Thules are ~$130. I've read the manual and of course Volvo pushes their factory accessories. Anybody have any experience with the Thule, Konig, or factory chains?

Thanks in advance.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Default Zero Clearance Chains...

I am a big advocate of Zero Clearance Chains, but they are expensive. There are OEM and aftermarket available. My VW has Spikes Spiders. A google search can find you several sources for them. This is what I recently did for my 02 V70XC, and if you hurry there is a rebate from Volvo on these OEM chains too.

I found the OEM Part number for Centrax snow chains, part number 30793910-8 on the Volvo website. ( http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...VCC-317719.htm ) For some reason, Volvo has these as the spec for 2008+. You will see in the list that they fit 215/65-16. I am running 225/60-16 and the dimensions are about the same. They don't appear to have any clearance isses. You can find more info about them than Volvo wants you to know from their manufacturer - RUD. ( http://rud.com/en/produkte/schneeket...w/centrax.html ) RUD Centrax look EXACTLY like (and may manufacture) Thule K-Summit Chains.

Here is the trick. If you call the dealer, they will want $400-550 for them. I found a better way. Go to http://www.myswedishparts.com - they are REALLY Volvo of Richardson, TX. On the navigation bar, click on Search --> Part Number. Put in the part number 307939108, then click Search. Add $20 for shipping and your chains will arrive for $336.86, just like mine. If this is too much for you to spend and you have a genuine Volvo part number for regular chains, remove the spaces and hyphens and see if they can beat your price.

BUT IF YOU ACT BEFORE FEB 28th, THERE IS A $15 REBATE ON ALL GENUINE VOLVO SNOW CHAINS! YOU NEED TO CALL THEM AT 1-866-597-3891 TO RECIEVE A COPY OF YOUR FACTORY INVOICE. ( https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....ebOptimise.pdf ) The factory invoice says Volvo of Richardson on it and additionally gives you access to Volvo's 12 month warranty at any Volvo dealersip.

Enjoy!
    02O224-

ps-The Volvo chains are SO much better than my Spikes Spiders Sport chains.

Default $500 for chains? Are you kidding???

Those chains look pretty hi tech. No wonder they cost so much $$$. The self install is interesting. Would love to see / try a set. I'm sure that they do preform and are smoother than cables but...

All I've ever used is the standard cable chains at $40-50 a set. If your only carrying them for "back-up" why not go this way? I can't see any clearance issues with the XC. On my 2K V70 standard cables work just fine, no clearance issues.
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

I tried the low clearance cable chains for the first time early this last December. They did not work because they rubbed on the inside. I decided, nothing is too harsh for the Volvo. ...then I slipped down a hill through a red light in a photo enforcement intersection. If I could swear in Swedish, I would have given Volvo Headquarters a call! The XC was grounded and was unable to leave the driveway for 2 weeks.

02O224-

ps- The County was negligent and forgot to put down deicer or gravel. The City decided not to process my ticket or any others.
    Last edited by 02Ocean224; 02-25-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Installed a comma for an extra 50+ horsepower!

Thanks for the info 02Ocean224. Shockingly enough, the quote I've been getting is for the standard Volvo chains, not the ones that look like the RUD or zero clearance Thule's. That's why I think it's ridiculous to pay $500. And yes Jeremy, I'm likely going to go the cheaper route and get some standard chains. I'm leaning toward these middle of the road chains by Thule. If I thought I'd actually use them I'd definitely order the Centrax ones. I know they're just going to sit in my rooftop box every winter, but it will keep my wife from asking me "Shouldn't we have chains us?" Thanks for all the info.

Watch out for clearance on the backside especially if you are running a nonstandard size tire. I have 225/60-16's (not the stock 215/65-16's) and it was way too tight.

FOR SALE:
    SCC Super Z6 Snow Chains. Stock number SZ139. Never used. Make an offer. I'm serious and kidding at the same time.
    Last edited by 02Ocean224; 02-26-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: added some humor - it's what I do.

Hmm, you got me worried about clearance now . I'm running the stock 215/65-16. I'll have to poke under and see how much clearance I have before I order the standard chains.

Les Schwab tire company has a deal where chains that are not used can be returned in the spring for a full refund. I don't know if they have chains for a XC but it might be worth a call.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

I stopped into Les Schwab for chain info too. They said for clearance as close as mine, they recommend Maggi QuickTrak's (known as TRAK in europe & I also might have spelled it wrong) and they are very similar to the OEM Volvo/RUD Centrax/Thule K-Summit. However, they had a high failure rate with their newest batch and they sent them all back to the manufacturer. If I wanted them they would cost $365, it would be a special order, and I would not be able to return them at the end of the season. This was more expensive than the Volvo OEM option. ...once again, this is only for folks with clearance issues.

02O224-
    Last edited by 02Ocean224; 02-26-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: my grammar sucked because I'm tired.

bringing this back to life.

Anyone used
    http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...5-04063d9111b7

on a 2001 XC70?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast