Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Default Imported post

Big,

Thanks for the comments from fellow Oregonian!

We are still waiting to get a good test drive on a XC90.  We got to drive one around the dealer lot today-that's as far as they would let us go as the vehicle was sold.  They have no demonstration XC90's available.  Will probably go to Eugene or Portland next week to test one.  In the meantime today we drove a Buick Rainier (sorry bout that).  Like the ride, but the traction control and safety features just aren't there.  Has lots of power though.
    '04 XC70 March OSD-Crystal Green/Taupe, Premium, Touring, DSTC, Load Levelers, Auto-dim Mirrors, HU803, Wood Steering.

Default Imported post

Hi folks
    I know I initially hated my Bi-Xenons but with my husbands help they are much better now. We picked a straight, empty road and night, with screw-driver in hand, and he adjusted them to fill in the big blank void we had in the center on high beam. He moved the drivers side more to right, and made several vertical adjustments, until we got them "just right". I still like them on low beam, and high is much better, but woudl likely save my $500 and get Halogen next time. Guess it's a "minor" complaint since I love my XC even more than I hoped, but disappointing too. My husbands Audi TT Xenons are fabulous, so not sure why Volvo ones don't work as well  
    is it spring yet  
       Ruby (salt crusted)
    '04 Ruby, sand, prem pkg, tour pkg, xenon, DST, xenia wheels, OSD

Unhappy Imported post

I have bi-xenon on new 2004 and I really feel unsafe with the low beams during dark country driving.......I ONLY have about 50' of light in low beam.  (high beams are GREAT but can't drive much of the time in high beams).  I'm taking car into dealer to see what they will/can do.  At this point, I'd MUCH prefer the halogen.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Bi-Xenon Headlight Adjustment

I'm reviving this thread for the benefit of recent owners. Similar to most posters, I was unhappy with the poor visibility on country roads - a factor of lights aimed low and typical Xenon cutoff.

Volvo would not adjust the beam upwards, so I did it myself. It was easy - use a 6mm socket and rotate a white screw (there is only one screw on the latest Canadian deliveries) about 1 full turn. See this thread for pictures.

The change is dramatic. While not necessary for in-town driving, my vision on late night country rides is greatly improved. Thus far, no "flashes" from oncoming cars, so I presume the upward realignment is acceptable to all.

I apologize for resuscitating an old post, but it sure was helpful for this new owner. If you drive at night on country lanes, you may want to try it.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default Mine are turned up to max and still no real improvement

John@CdnRockies: On my S60R I have the headlights raised to max position and still I get no real distance from the high beams. I even have adjusted the fogs up some to help with the low beam projection and that is just a marginal improvement.

I'm totally unhappy about this situation and I find it's the only one complaint I have with my S60R.

It appears the only solution I have is to somehow invest $s into getting Euro headlight assemblies for my R car if I want to see where I'm heading into on dark unlit country roads in my neck of the woods.

The Euro lights have a high beam booster light whereas the US ones have DRL lights.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default SR60 Lights

Barry, I thought that would have been the sad situation based on your previous posts to this thread. I sure feel for you having seen the standard settings as delivered by Volvo - felt really unsafe at even modest speeds.

If you drive up with the R for the NW meet we can compare light settings amongst the participants. No answers, just commiseration unfortunately. But hey, we'd all be DELIGHTED to take the SR60 for a spin!!!
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Interesting discussion,
    i don't have Bi-x on my xc70 but have them on my Honda accord euro and they are brilliant (excuse the pun). one of the best light sources i've seen, clear, bright & sharp. the volvo is very good but the honda lights leave them for dead. maybe it's a volvo thing?
    XC70 2003 2.5T Geartronic, Silver; Front & rear skid, luxury pack, now sold, but what a great car.
    Now 2008 V70 T6 AWD,bluetooth, sunroof, active bixenon, 4C suspension,
    2005 Mecedes C class AMG sports upgrade

Default Bi-Xenons adjusted low on delivery

I found this on my car (2004). The dealer checked and confirmed. I told him to set them at the highest allowed level (using the Volvo computer). I found an improvement, but I manually went up another full turn on the adjustor.

There is now improvement, and I have not had anyone _yet_ flash me at night for blinding them.

Cheers,
    Dave

Default Adjustment was needed...

New 2004 XC70 w/Bi-Xenon headlights. Lights were aimed very low from factory. We drove from Oregon to Montana last week, the last three hours or so in the dark. On low-beam it was very difficult to see beyond 50-60 feet (15-20 meters). I used my high-beams for the last two hours of the trip, and only had two truckers flash at me (the state trooper I passed didn't seem to notice... I was too embarrassed to dim my lights when I came up from behind him, so I just left them on high).

I have since adjusted the low-beams up several turns. I found I was able to adjust the white knobs with my fingers (after using a socket and dropping it into the engine compartment - fortunately I retrieved it). The lows are now just below where the highs were and light the road nicely.

Another issue -- for those familiar with Xenons, they tilt from down (low) to up (high) rather than lighting another element or bulb in the headlight when high-beam is activated. When high-beams are activated, both lights will tilt up, but in our XC70 the left headlight will then immediately tilt back down to low (Left low-beam and right high-beam). This occurs about 65% of the time. Has anyone else had this occur, and can anyone think of an easy solution? The nearest dealer is 210 miles away (about 3 hours). And yes, we knew the dealer was a long way away, but we wanted to be in the safest car we could find... Thanks.

By the way, we love the car.

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    I'm reviving this thread for the benefit of recent owners. Similar to most posters, I was unhappy with the poor visibility on country roads - a factor of lights aimed low and typical Xenon cutoff.

Volvo would not adjust the beam upwards, so I did it myself. It was easy - use a 6mm socket and rotate a white screw (there is only one screw on the latest Canadian deliveries) about 1 full turn. See this thread for pictures.

The change is dramatic. While not necessary for in-town driving, my vision on late night country rides is greatly improved. Thus far, no "flashes" from oncoming cars, so I presume the upward realignment is acceptable to all.

I apologize for resuscitating an old post, but it sure was helpful for this new owner. If you drive at night on country lanes, you may want to try it.
    This thread has more lives than a cat, it seems...

John,

I am considering adjusting my Xenons upwards as well (even though I do not do much country driving, when I had to it was an unpleasant experience, as noted by many others).

However, you forgot the URL in your post quoted above, and I could not find any pictures in the various threads of the knobs on 2004 XC70s (and should they still be rotated clockwise to raise the low beams?).

And for those who have adjusted their xenons, do the changes persist after visits to the dealer? I ask as one post mentioned that a VADIS hookup may reset the lights to their factory settings...

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

HB
    --------------------------------------------------------
    2004 XC70 - Silver, Premium / Sport / Touring packages.
    Nothing hugs like the HuggyBear!