Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Default Imported post

For those who have Bi-xenon headlights could you provide a comparison between them and the regular Halogen lights. I know this is not possible if you haven't recently driven a car with Halogen but if you can provide your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

My reason for asking is that I have Bi-xenon on my S60R and their performance in terms of allowing me to see the road at night is abysmal. On low beam they provide brilliant white raod for about 70 feet and then it's utterly BLACK. On high beam you can see further and again beyong the sharp light pattern cutoff it's simply a BLACK hole. The Halogen on my '03 XC70 are much better on low beam and peer much much further down the road when on high beam.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Lightbulb Imported post

Hmm, that doesn't sound right Barry. Are you sure the Xenon lights are not set too low?
    Unless the Xenon hype has been one big marketing scheme, I thought they would perform better than the halogen lights
    I was very happy with the halogens on my previous V70 and that's why I didn't spend money for them on my XC. Seems that was a good choice.  

2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Default Imported post

I've adjusted the static position manually via the adjusting mechanism to give the maximum heads-up angle and they still perform miserably. I'm really VERY disappointed with the Bi-xenon lights on the S60R and see no choice but to seek an after market soln for additional lighting so that I feel safer driving at night.

I've discussed this on Swedespeed and the very knowledgeable GrecianVolvo fella agrees with me although he doesn't go as far to say the S60R is unsafe to drive at night time, whereas I do.

See Bi-xenon vs. Halogen headlights

N.B. (Interesting comment made also) -- GrecianVolvo also goes onto to say the headlight pattern in USA spec'd cars is designed to angle more upwards than for the same headlights in Europe because in USA the signs tend to be overhead whereas in Europe presumably they are on the side of the road.

If the optional Bi-xenons on the XC70 are anything like they are on my S60R I would strongly recommend to people they not bother with them and save the lolly for other more useful goodies, or at least try them out at night time before making final decision on having them.

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Looking forward to getting my car back to the USA to see how bi-xenon lights work-couldn't tell in Sweden since it never got dark enough--hope it helps, especially on cloudy & rainy days when it is difficult to see the lanes
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

As far as I am concerned, there is no comparison Barry:  Bi Xenon is better.  I've made a test with my father.  He deployed the high beam, then I just put the bi xenon on: I crushed him.  

Thomas
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (thomaslally @ Aug. 09 2003,21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as I am concerned, there is no comparison Barry: Bi Xenon is better. I&#39;ve made a test with my father. He deployed the high beam, then I just put the bi xenon on: I crushed him.

Thomas[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks -- Hmmmm&#33;&#33;&#33; -- it must be an S60R flaw I suppose or else I&#39;m not understanding the adjustment mechanism prperly. I&#39;m also told software controls the light angle in some manner -- and I had such high expectations for the Bi-Xenon lights.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

I think it is far to simple to say that more light is better by definition.
    Anyhow, the way the light falls off on the edges is much more abrupt with the so called bi-xenon lights, being a major difference with halogens (I expressely didn&#39;t say disadvantage since bi-xenons are a hot item these days, expressing less favorite opinions concerning such trends are often regarded as &quot;subversive&quot; )
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default Imported post

Want to swap headlights?

I&#39;ll even pay the labor&#33;

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

XCelerate Guest

Wink Imported post

I have got bi-xenon headlights. Performance is VERY disapointing, I agree with Barry. On dark roads in Italy I thought the light level was dangerously low. The head-lights seemed to be aimed too low, I could only see like six in front of the car.
    Back in Holland I have had the lights checked: beam was exactly at the right hight. Had the lights adjusted 0.5 degree higher anyway. Not sure if there is any improvement.
    The local Volvo dealer is checking in Sweden if other customers have reported the same problem.

Default Imported post

Wow, I&#39;ve had a different experience than Barry and Arjan. &nbsp;The bi-xenon I believe are superior. &nbsp;I noticed it the most while going down a dark, narrow tree-laden road; the clarity going down that road was fantastic. &nbsp;As far as high-beams, I also thought it outperformed. &nbsp;I like the crisp white light that illuminates. &nbsp;Granted there is a definate &quot;line&quot; placed on the roadscape on highbeam but it&#39;s certainly bright and throws a wide illumination on the road and surround&#33;

Sure you&#39;re not wearing sunglasses at night? &nbsp;
    2004 XC70 Black w graphite leather
    Touring and Sport Packages

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast