Default 2001 XC 70 Overcharging Warning.

Today the engine light came on heater went on high. The Info center said it was Overcharging and please pullover and turn vehicle off. My wife drove it home a couple miles and parked it. She said that the engine fan stayed on for about 20min. When I got home I put it in the garage and the heater would not shut off (on High) Has anyone had this issue in the past? Any ideas would be great.Oh it still says that its overcharging.Thanks pat

Do you have a multimeter you could put on the battery while its running to see what voltage you are getting across the two terminals? Sometimes a bad ground can cause an overcharge condition, sometimes its a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. Many times these can be replaced pretty cheaply and without too much effort if you can get to the back of the alternator. You will need to see what voltage you have though at the battery. The charging voltage should be between 12.8V and 14.7V with the car running.
    Charles
    '04 Volvo XC70
    '91 Alfa Romeo 164L
    '89 Volvo 244
    Charles

Default Update to problem

I checked the battery and it had a dead cell.I put a new battery in and nothing changed.The engine fan will not shut off,I can't shut the heat down and the Overcharge light is still on. Will this pooch the new battery?

If you truly do have an overcharging condition, it will destroy the new battery in pretty short order. If you smell rotten eggs, it's burning up the battery. My Mercedes did this to me one time... to a brand new Interstate battery.
    Charles
    '04 Volvo XC70
    '91 Alfa Romeo 164L
    '89 Volvo 244
    Charles

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

I can't say if for sure if this is a definitive answer to your issue, but I think that ChazzyD could be right. It appears that there was a bad batch of regulators installed on earlier model year XCs. According to the attached bulletin below, late failure phase of the units can also display signs of overcharging. Check the supplier part number on your own regulator to see if it corresponds to the one in the photo.