Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tire issues???

Default tire issues???

About 3 months back I replaced the rear tires with a different make from the fronts.... a strange sound began to come from the drive train . Also, a clicking like a baseball card in the spokes of the front wheel of your bike when you were a kid would come and go. It would sometimes cause the car tho shake and feel like the car was being held back.... then a very loud "boom" and the car would lerch forward like something had popped what ever was affected back into place... and then, smooth sailing. No more clicking sounds or vibrations until it began again.
    I had been to many shops and none could figure out what the problem was. The last shop had mentioned that "ALL" the tires must be identical or there would be problems and possible damage to the drive train.
    Has anyone else had this problem or heard of such a thing?
    I welcom all input to this mystery.
    Tomorrow I will put maching tires on to see if this remidies the problem.
    Happy motering !
    NYC Driver

Default tire issues

Well, I'm assuming that you have a XC model with AWD. I hate to be the one to tell you, but it sounds like you may have damaged your Angle or Bevel Gear. They are the same thing, some call it angle, some bevel gear. It's an expensive repair, mine cost $3100. If there is 8/32 of an inch difference in diameter between the front and rear tires, you can cook your angle gear. Go to a Volvo mechanic and he can tell you if it is this. Hopefully not, but with your description of the problem...... There are lots of posts about the notorious angle or bevel gear on this forum. It seems like just yesterday, that I was on this forum asking what was wrong with my XC. Seems that the 98-2000 XC's have this angle gear, which is defective. Starting in 2001 they switched to a different AWD set up to solve the problem. Meanwhile, we get to live with the angle gear.
    A cheaper alternative may be to remove the angle gear and drive shaft to the rear drive and have a FWD car. See the most recent posts about that.
    Good luck.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

> If there is 8/32 of an inch difference in diameter between the front and rear tires, you can cook your angle gear.

considering a typical new tire comes with 10/32" tread, i think your numbers are off.

i'm thinking more like 2/32"?

Default tire size

Could be. I got that off of this forum or Mathews, and I may be remembering the numbers wrong. All I know is that it cost a lot of $$$ to fix (replace) mine. It's kind of like when a robber stick a BIG gun in your face and says give me your money. And the cops ask,"What did he look like?" and all you can remember is that BIG gun!! All I can remember is "$3100". I think I have P.T.S.D. still after 2 years.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by db130 View Post
    > If there is 8/32 of an inch difference in diameter between the front and rear tires, you can cook your angle gear.

considering a typical new tire comes with 10/32" tread, i think your numbers are off.

i'm thinking more like 2/32"?

3/32" is the correct number

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Could be. I got that off of this forum or Mathews, and I may be remembering the numbers wrong. All I know is that it cost a lot of $$$ to fix (replace) mine. It's kind of like when a robber stick a BIG gun in your face and says give me your money. And the cops ask,"What did he look like?" and all you can remember is that BIG gun!! All I can remember is "$3100". I think I have P.T.S.D. still after 2 years.
    No you didn't. NO ONE would ever post 8/32" which is 1/4" but at 1/4" it would probably be OK (no more than that though and NEVER have them off SIDE TO SIDE, those MUST be the same especially on the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Well, I'm assuming that you have a XC model with AWD. Seems that the 98-2000 XC's have this angle gear, which is defective. Starting in 2001 they switched to a different AWD set up to solve the problem. Meanwhile, we get to live with the angle gear.
    A cheaper alternative may be to remove the angle gear and drive shaft to the rear drive and have a FWD car. See the most recent posts about that.
    Good luck.
    Another correction -newer models still use the same bevel gear - the difference is that they do not use the Viscous Coupling - instead they use a Haldex unit that is far more forgiving of wheel/tire rolling diameter differentials, and better power management. I believe '02 was the first year.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
    I believe '02 was the first year.
    '03 was the first year.

2003 is the 1st year for Haldex in Volvo wagons, 2002 in the S60 AWD only

Default tire size

Hey guys, cut me some slack. I'd had a beer after work and when I read NYC Driver's post, I started having paranoid flashbacks about Volvo repair bills. What's 5/32 of an inch among friends? <g>
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast