Default Idiotic question - how do you remove the coolant reservoir?

After a successful timing belt change on my 2001 XC70, I've discovered a hairline crack in the coolant reservoir that is causing some coolant leakage. I think I caused the crack when I tried to separate the coolant reservoir from the power steering fluid reservoir but couldn't figure out how. It seems that there is a plastic clip from the power steering reservoir holding on to the top of the coolant reservoir, and a couple of 'guides' lower down that keep the two reservoirs 'mated'. Try as I might, I cannot figure out the proper way to disconnect the coolant reservoir from the power steering reservoir - one just doesn't want to slide past the other!

Can anyone please fill me in on the proper method to disconnect the two so that I can replace the coolant reservoir?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Hmmm - maybe I didn't provide enough information in my question. In my XC90, the coolant reservoir and power steering reservoir are connected, but have a small gap between them and are easy to slide apart. In my 2001 XC70, both reservoirs are held tight against each other, and the 'lips' of the reservoirs are jammed together tight, so they can't slide past each other. In the end, I guess I could take my Dremel tool and cut away at the coolant reservoir, but that seems a bit extreme. Has anyone else had difficulty separating the two?

Ok, I'll answer my own question; according to a friend here at work, the coolant reservoir containers are prone to warping over time, which can cause them to be very difficult to remove, as the plastic has actually re-shaped itself around the steering fluid reservoir. The only way to remove them after they are warped is to cut/beat them off, being careful not to damage the steering fluid reservoir. I guess repeated heating and cooling does more than just make the plastic brittle. By the way, an aftermarket coolant reservoir is about $38, while the OEM is about $80.

Thanks anyway for all the reads, and I hope my answer helps someone else.

Andrew,

Last week in the course of replacing my timing belt I tried to separate the coolent reservoir from the power steering reservoir and reluctantly concluded I couldn't do it without damaging one or both of the tanks. I was hoping someone would come up with a miracle alternative in response to your question, but at least now I know I didn't overlook some simple solution.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Hello,
    Strange, I did send a reply yesterday, but something must have gone wrong
    crossing the ocean (or more likely, I forgot to press the "submit" button )
    I looked in Vadis, only to find out that the instructions simply say to remove
    the reservoir without any specific details!
    I also wrote that the coolant reservoir is (or at least was) known for having
    cracks, so it is quite possible that you didn't cause it
    Of course all this doesn't help, I was hoping someone with hands-on experience
    would come forward. Perhaps this reply triggers some useful answers after all
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

My best method involves two flat blade screwdrivers, one medium, one large.

Use the medium driver to wedge between the p/s and the coolant reservoir in a vertical direction.

Use the second (small) screwdriver to slide vertically between the tab on the p/s reservoir and the slot on the coolant reservoir (on the p/s side). This will release the latch on the p/s tab and allow you to slide it up.

I've used this method a couple of times, and it seems to be the best option vs. excessive force/breakage.

Old thread but I ran into the same problem with my 2002 Volvo V70XC. It was simpler than what I thought it would be. You just have to use a screw driver to pry up the steering bottle (the middle one not the 2 on the sides). The guy from 1A Auto did it: http://www.1aauto.com/volvo-timing-b...eo-placeholder
    You would have to click on the video on that page.
    Something simple but took me a long time to find out how to do it.

Just give it a whack from the bottom lifts right out
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)