Default Serpentine Belt and Tensioner

Just got curious and took a peek under the bonnet. Found that the tensioner has a small bit of lateral play-does not seem right. Would like to unload the belt and check it out. Alas the tensioner has a cover over the bolt and I do not see a simple method of getting it off short of destruction--would rather not get that extreme--

Has any one experience in removing this cover with common tool? May be there is an access trick that I am missing-

Did the search and found one posting on replacing the tensioner but did not mention the offending cover?

All help appreciated.

MIGHT BE HELPFUL: 2004/Automatic/L5 2.5L 2500cc GAS FI B5254T2 Then again--other that tranny every thing should be pretty common.

might be a little late responding but I just removed the tensioner cover this weekend doing the timing belt, just take a flat blade screwdriver and go to the edge of the cover and pry it off, it just kinda snaps in there like a hubcab does on a wheel.. wasn't hard to remove. It was actually harder putting back on..
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi