Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation XC70 squeaky tail gate ??

We have a 2008 - 12,000KM on it and the back gate is squeaking.

It occurs when cornering or over uneven bumps - leads me to believe its come out of alignment and makes the noise when the chassis is tourqued.

... wanting to find you if anyone else experienced this before I take it to the dealer.

Cape Cod Bound
    Rides:
    2008 XC70
    2004 S4 V8 - Quattro
    Previously: 2002 XC70

I have a 2008 as well that had such a squeaky tailgate that it was driving me crazy. My car has 13,500 miles on it. I also had a squeaky drivers side seat belt re-tractor. Every time you moved it would squeak.

I took the car to my dealer who confirmed the squeaks and rattles. They replaced the seat belt re-tactor so now everything is ok. The tail gate noise or rattle at every bump was a bad latching unit. Which was also replaced. With these fixes the car is now really quiet like it should be.

Good luck on your fix, I would take it to your dealer and have them look at it. They may have to have a technician ride in the back to determine where the squeak is coming from that is what they did with my car.

Hope everything goes well.

MGC
    Morrie

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bound View Post
    We have a 2008 - 12,000KM on it and the back gate is squeaking.

It occurs when cornering or over uneven bumps - leads me to believe its come out of alignment and makes the noise when the chassis is tourqued.

... wanting to find you if anyone else experienced this before I take it to the dealer.

Sorry to threadjack, but those are nice wheels. Mind me asking what wheels they are, size, etc. and what size tires you've got?

It's a well known problem here in Nordic countries, too. The latching unit is to blame. There has been no official fix for this problem yet, but I apply silicone to the unit every now and then, keeping it quiet.

I guess Volvo has to replace the unit, as MGC mentioned.

Default Thank for the latch advice - here are wheel details...

This shot is of my is my cold weather setup - ROH Wheels (Australian) and Pirelli's sized 235/50/17's (SottoZero) snows.

My summer setup are the OEM 18's.

Cheers
    Cape Cod Bound
    Rides:
    2008 XC70
    2004 S4 V8 - Quattro

This shot is of my is my cold weather setup - ROH Wheels (Australian) and Pirelli's sized 235/50/17's (SottoZero) snows.

My summer setup are the OEM 18's.

Cheers
    Do you mean 235/55/17's? IIRC, that's the OEM size for 17's. Did you consider getting the 215/65/16's? Technically, those should perform better, but I wonder how much worse would the extra 20 mm's of the wider tire be?

I'm in the same boat as you, getting 18's, and deciding which size if I was to get snows...

Default This is a non-OEM steup ...

Pirelli's sized 235/50/17's fit the existing ROH's I had on my 2002 XC70 (RIP - accident) .

You are right - the narrower the tire the better in the snow but I like the look of bigger tires and had no issue here in Toronto last winter (the winter from hell). It drove to the Laurentians as well in 3 feet of snow - spectacular tires (SottoZeros).

I use the OEM 18's with the Pirelli Scorpions in the Summer. 18" snows are extremely expensive.
    Cape Cod Bound
    Rides:
    2008 XC70
    2004 S4 V8 - Quattro

You are right - the narrower the tire the better in the snow but I like the look of bigger tires and had no issue here in Toronto last winter (the winter from hell). It drove to the Laurentians as well in 3 feet of snow - spectacular tires (SottoZeros).
    Good to hear. Snows are better than all seasons regardless I suppose (which is what the car will come with) so getting 235 snows is still better than all seasons, and 215 snows would be even better than the 235 snows, but probably not by a ton.

Default Tail Gate

They also replaced my tailgate mechanism under warranty, now at 25,000km.
    Sure would like the T6 for the mileage they are getting on the 09's
    11 Flamenco Red T6 w/Espresso interior. Replaced 08 Ruby Red w/Esspresso interior. Replaced 04 Ruby red w/wing and full tint. Replaced 02 Ruby Red.
    Wife's car; 12 XC60 T6 White replaced 05 Ruby Red XC70 replaced 99 V70XC Sandstone

My tailgate was also squeaking. But it was only adjusted on hinges on top and that was ok and has been ok for the last 15000km

/Mats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast