Thread: iPod

Default iPod

Folks,

I've just taken delivery of a UK-spec MY2011 D5 with Premium Sound and the iPod/USB adapter in the arm rest.

Having plugged in my iPod, while it plays and I can select tracks in sequential order, I can't find anyway to show any structure (playlists, etc) on the car's display, nor to scroll through album titles.

The owner's manual is in the chocolate teapot category on the isseu.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

I've played around with our ipod settings several times and have concluded that the interface is barely adequate. I can only go forward or backwards - no shuffle, no playlists, no select by album or artist. Granted, it's my wife's XC so I'm not putting a lot of effort into this, but compared to my Infiniti, Volvo's controls are poor. [My car interface is identical to the ipod itself, as well as playing .mp3s from a flash drive.]

My other gripe is the lack of information displayed on the head unit. Sometimes song title, never artist, maybe genre on Sirius if I'm lucky. Again, I'm comparing to my G37 which even displays album art!

I'm happy to have the ipod connections built in but if anyone has any tips about better display and/or control, I'd happily try more options.

Tom
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Quote Originally Posted by Finlaggan View Post
    Folks,

I've just taken delivery of a UK-spec MY2011 D5 with Premium Sound and the iPod/USB adapter in the arm rest.

Having plugged in my iPod, while it plays and I can select tracks in sequential order, I can't find anyway to show any structure (playlists, etc) on the car's display, nor to scroll through album titles.

The owner's manual is in the chocolate teapot category on the isseu.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.
    Have you tried the 'Menu' button on the Radio, with the iPod plugged in and playing?

The Menu button allows me to make changes to the way the Audio is 'handled' but from the USB connection into which I have an 8Gb Memory Stick with all the tracks in Mp3 format (Currently around 2000).
    When a track is playing and I hit the Menu button I can see all the folders and select one of them then a track or just the folder or I can select Random and it will then start to work its way through the 2000 tracks.

It might be that as the iPod uses Quick Time this is not recognised by the Audio System so cannot display the folders on the car's display?

After much playing around, it seems that the "Enter" button brings up a menu showing Artists, Albums, etc.

Bizarrely not the "Menu" button...

Im waiting delivery on my 2011 spec, could you tell me what cable you are using for the ipod and where you got it from. I have one from a Ford that I just cancelled the order on, wonder if it will fit.

I have the iPod Cable already fitted to my XC70 and it is installed by Volvo if you specified it when they build the car.

The cable is in the Centre Console and plugs straight into the iPod.

I also tried playing music from my iPhone using the iPod cable as the connection is the same, but the phone was not recognised, so I will continue to use the 8Gb Memory stick and the USB Cable on the 2011 spec that should be with me 1st December, and then hope that the Bluetooth will work with the iPhone as £2000 for the 'Comms Pack' was rather expensive for what it does.

I also didn't really want the GPS system but now they took the £1500 price tag off it and made it 'Free' but it's pretty useless for any Multi Destination Journeys over 7 'Stops' as that is all you can get in an Itinerary!

I have the iPod Cable already fitted to my XC70 and it is installed by Volvo if you specified it when they build the car.

The cable is in the Centre Console and plugs straight into the iPod.
    I think this is where my confusion is coming from.

On the Ford, it required both USB AND a 3.5mm jack, and I notice that on the Volvo, there is both a USB and 3.5mm socket. Does the Volvo system require both USB and the 3.5mm or does it simply work on the USB, if so, the normally supplied white IPod cable should do the trick????

It connects to the USB socket in the arm rest using the (white) Apple cable that came with the iPod.

It connects to the USB socket in the arm rest using the (white) Apple cable that came with the iPod.

Sorted!