Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default power door lock problem

Heyyyy...
    My rear passenger side lock has inexplicably and without warning ceased to function on my 04 xc70. It doesn't lock or unlock with the remote or the power lock button. It locks and unlocks manually just fine. Its a big pain because that's the door that all back seat passengers invariably go for, and the lock is just out of my reach when I'm in the driver's seat. My friends act as though locking the door when they exit my car is the most taxing thing they've ever had to do and I'm tired of the whining.
    My question is: does anyone know of an easy at home fix for this, or do I need to take it in to have something replaced?
    thanks for any advice you deem fit to bestow upon me.
    John
    Columbus, OH

I suppose that when doors are commanded to open or close by means of the remote,
    these commands arrive at the door module via the wiring in the B-pillar.
    When opened or closed manually, probably only local commands are executed.
    Since you mention that this door is used a lot, perhaps it is a wiring problem.
    There are also relays invloved, but I am not sure whether they are used for remote control only.
    However, I have attached a small pdf file showing where to find the relays. 2/212 is for rear
    left, 2/214 is for the right side. You may try to swap them and do a test.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Any update on this problem? My '02 has the same issue, same door.
    2002 v70 XC
    71k miles
    Climate Package
    Convenience Package
    Premium Package

now that i've had a door interior off, and see how easy it it, i'm be included to open the door and put a volt meter on the lock solenoid to see it it's getting voltage - that should help to narrow it down to signal or actuator.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

now that i've had a door interior off, and see how easy it it, i'm be included to open the door and put a volt meter on the lock solenoid to see it it's getting voltage - that should help to narrow it down to signal or actuator
    You don't even have to do that.....save yourself a bit of effort. Can you hear the actuator working when you lock and unlock? If so then you know you need an actuator. I was messing with the LR one on my car last weekend because it doesn't always lock. It's a pain in the ass to find out there's absolutely nothing you can do to the unit to fix it. You can only replace it. And it's a pain in the ass to get it in and out!!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

I only have 2 problems with my XC70 CC 2004.

> 'GSM telephone'.
    About the first the supplier put a lot of Volvo Patches what never go well.

> 'Automatic Close' Read Door Left Side (never close)
    IT's a problem of voltage. This problem apears (With remote control or without remote control)

Of course my car is out of warranty, this week I made and oficial reclamation to VOLVO. If Volvo does'nt repair my car (without cost), I will never buy more a VOLVO !!

perhaps Infinity FX50 will be a good substitute..

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    You don't even have to do that.....save yourself a bit of effort. Can you hear the actuator working when you lock and unlock? If so then you know you need an actuator. I was messing with the LR one on my car last weekend because it doesn't always lock. It's a pain in the ass to find out there's absolutely nothing you can do to the unit to fix it. You can only replace it. And it's a pain in the ass to get it in and out!!!

Dave.
    Not sure I follow....

If I hear the actuator working and the door stays locked, then it might be the linkage between the actuator and the lock mechanism. But maybe they are one and the same (actuator and lock)

If I don't hear the actuator working, then I still don't know if the actuator is faulty or if the switch or other 'voltage control device' is not working.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Not sure I follow....

If I hear the actuator working and the door stays locked, then it might be the linkage between the actuator and the lock mechanism. But maybe they are one and the same (actuator and lock)

If I don't hear the actuator working, then I still don't know if the actuator is faulty or if the switch or other 'voltage control device' is not working.

The actuator and lock mechanism are all in one sealed unit. If you can hear that part clunking when you hit lock or unlock, then you know the problem is the actuator. If you don't hear anything, then you need to diagnose further. There is a very remote possibility that the plastic lock clip that secures the door lock knob has come loose, but that being the case you should still hear the actuator working and the door will lock and unlock.........just the knob won't move. It's not likely that any linkage has released itself though. The only mechanical parts in the door are the handle cable (inside door handle) that connects to the door latch, and the link rod for the outer handle that connects to the door latch.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Any solutions to the loss of power lock on a door problem? Thanks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    The actuator and lock mechanism are all in one sealed unit. If you can hear that part clunking when you hit lock or unlock, then you know the problem is the actuator. If you don't hear anything, then you need to diagnose further. There is a very remote possibility that the plastic lock clip that secures the door lock knob has come loose, but that being the case you should still hear the actuator working and the door will lock and unlock.........just the knob won't move. It's not likely that any linkage has released itself though. The only mechanical parts in the door are the handle cable (inside door handle) that connects to the door latch, and the link rod for the outer handle that connects to the door latch.

Dave.

thanks a lots !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast