Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Whacking the tail light worked on mine for a while but alas, no more. New bulb time.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Whacked mine today and it came to life. The only value I can see in keeping this light operative is that the message telling me that it is out goes away.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

AFAIK, no one's ever received a ticket for "inoperative position light."
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    08/01 Build Date

Whacking worked for me, too! Thanks for the tip, uscgc!

Interesting that it seems always to be the back left parking/position light, in this thread. I popped into the dealer last week to ask them to replace the bulb, and the service manager had a look and said it was quite a big job - I'd have to book the car in (covered by the maintenance plan). Apparently if it was the lower bulb it would be easy, but the upper one is inaccessible without taking off several interior panels (not just the inspection panel). I was happy to phone them today and cancel the booking - I'll get them to change it at the next regular service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mink View Post
    Whacking worked for me, too! Thanks for the tip, uscgc!

Interesting that it seems always to be the back left parking/position light, in this thread. I popped into the dealer last week to ask them to replace the bulb, and the service manager had a look and said it was quite a big job - I'd have to book the car in (covered by the maintenance plan). Apparently if it was the lower bulb it would be easy, but the upper one is inaccessible without taking off several interior panels (not just the inspection panel). I was happy to phone them today and cancel the booking - I'll get them to change it at the next regular service.
    "Big job"??? Your service manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Takes about 5 minutes if you already have a new bulb. Remove fuse panel, remove insulation (both snap out), reach in, twist bulb holder counterclockwise, twist out bulb, twist in new bulb, twist bulb holder back into taillight housing, put panels back (both snap back in), done.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    08/01 Build Date

Just to even it out - my right one does not come on - so it's not exclusive to the left side! Although I oddly do not get a warning... which is fine by me.
    2001 XC70, original trans

Default It is a DIY job

I've done both sides on my '04 XC70. The right side went first and then the left side. It is a DIY job, but you have to reach in the access panel hole to find the the longish handle on the bulb holder. Nimble fingers help. I agree it is about a 5 minute job.

Harold.

I have changed both sides on mine. Yes, the filaments were burned out.
    It really is a job a 5 yr. old could do. In fact it is probably easier for a 5yr. old with their smaller fingers
    Colin
    Kinuso, Alberta
    Canada
    2004 XC70 25T, Ruby Red
    2002 V40 (Wife's)
    2001 Nissan X-terra
    2006 Suzuki V-Strom

In a previous post I said that my left position (parking) light came on when I whacked it in the forum approved repair. Now both the rear parking lights don't work. The fuses are ok, according to the manual, because the front parking lights work and each side is fused together, front and back. So I probably have both lights out. Is there any value to these lights that I am missing? With my large paws they are difficult to replace and I am tempted to just live without them. What do you think?
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Like Willy said, these lights are on when you're parked to allow other cars to see yours. If you routinely park near traffic and put your parking lights on then yes, they have value. I don't do that, but I changed mine anyway so the warning triangle on the dash wouldn't burn out. At first I had trouble getting my hand in there so I took out the little speakers above the main access covers and shined a flashlight down in there. Once I did that, I could see that I was trying to reach into the wrong place. There's a long plastic handle thing on the marker bulb holder that extends out into a larger cavity where you can get hold of it. It's really not too hard once you can see what you're doing.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    08/01 Build Date

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast