Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AWD module?

Default AWD module?

OK...my trip to the dealer turned out to be interesting today indeed. I had gassed up the car a couple days ago and instantly got a CEL light upon leaving the gas station. Had the codes read at an independent foreign mechanic who gave me several codes, but didn't turn off my light.

I took in the XC 70 into the dealership and had them read the code. I didn't tell them about having the code read elsewhere.

They came back with something totally different.

The service mgr. told me that the code related back to the AWD module. He also said it would be $320 to replace and they did not have the part in stock. Would have to order and I would have to bring the car back in, but it was fine to drive the car in the meanwhile. He said it basically meant my AWD might work and it might not.

They said that it didn't show any emissions code at all. Hmm...Anyway, they actually turned the CEL off and I drove 45 miles back to my house with no issues. The light has yet to reappear.

Weird, huh?

Good for you. The evil CEL is extiguishd.

Did he ding you for the full $100. Even if he did the peace of mind of having the CEL off and not recurring is money well spent.

I do hope all continues to go well for you.

Default Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEH20 View Post
    Good for you. The evil CEL is extiguishd.

Did he ding you for the full $100. Even if he did the peace of mind of having the CEL off and not recurring is money well spent.

I do hope all continues to go well for you.
    Yes, I had to pay the $100. What was nice though, was that since we only had this car for 1 week and 4 days, the sales manager said that they would only charge me $100 period for this, and that they would take care of the remaining $220 (totaling the $320 they said it would cost to repair).

My feeling on this, though, why the heck didn't they get the same codes as the other mechanic got? And were they just trying to rip me for $320 bucks until the sales mgr. got involved? It's so strange how dealerships work.

Also, if this were really serious...wouldn't the light come BACK on again, pretty soon? I'm sure curious on that...if anybody has any ideas on the light coming back to indicate a problem after it's been cleared, let me know. Keep in mind, the repairs have not been done at this point. Just the light cleared. The part has been ordered.

let me clue you in (and everyone else), in case some of you (obviously) don't know this, for the most part (almost 98% of the time) a CEL (check engine light) is emmision related ONLY.
    AWD does not throw a check light, ever. (maybe the warning triangle to let you know something's amiss) but NEVER an actual "check engine" light!
    It will throw a low (or hot) coolant light as that's preventing a disaster, but as I said, for the most part it's almost always emmisions related/
    Unless you hit water and accelerate or you go out in snow and spin, you won't really know if the AWD is even working at "normal" speeds

Default Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    let me clue you in (and everyone else), in case some of you (obviously) don't know this, for the most part (almost 98% of the time) a CEL (check engine light) is emmision related ONLY.
    AWD does not throw a check light, ever. (maybe the warning triangle to let you know something's amiss) but NEVER an actual "check engine" light!
    It will throw a low (or hot) coolant light as that's preventing a disaster, but as I said, for the most part it's almost always emmisions related/
    Unless you hit water and accelerate or you go out in snow and spin, you won't really know if the AWD is even working at "normal" speeds
    Thank you so much for posting this! I told my husband today that in my opinion, the CEL would NOT be on for anything related to AWD. My husband agreed. We felt like the dealership was willing to "pay" for the other costs, because quite frankly, they were lying to us about the AWD module being "bad" as they put it.

I told my husband I honestly felt like the dealership was trying to put a part on my car that doesn't need to be put on it. I just think they were looking for a way to make some money rather than be honest and say, "You didn't put the filler cap on right." I mean, either way, I was going to pay them $100, so why weren't they just honest?

I'm glad you posted this. I am halfway in mind of not even taking my car back to the dealer for this "bad" part to be fixed. I mean, let's look at it like this...if the part is not bad, they could screw with my car and make something else go bad...on purpose! Hoping they wouldn't do that, but you never know.

I just felt like they were trying to "sucker" us!

Try driving (in 1st gear) over a big puddle of water or wait for a rain or in light sand or gravel.
    Even in the dry if you punch it, you should get a little torque steer if the AWD is out, the wheel will jerk a bit, then you DO know the AWD isn't working.
    I just had one (AWD not working) and NO LIGHTS were on the dash.

You have to tighten you gas cap 3 clicks, that probably was the CEL

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Try driving (in 1st gear) over a big puddle of water or wait for a rain or in light sand or gravel.
    Even in the dry if you punch it, you should get a little torque steer if the AWD is out, the wheel will jerk a bit, then you DO know the AWD isn't working.
    I just had one (AWD not working) and NO LIGHTS were on the dash.

You have to tighten you gas cap 3 clicks, that probably was the CEL
    OK, I will certainly try this. We have a gravel road on our property at our farm, I think I will just take it there and "punch it" to see what happens.

I appreciate your replies. This has been especially concerning to me since I only bought the car a little less than 2 wks. ago.

Careful throwing up rocks on your new car!
    Maybe you should try the "wet" senario

On my friends XC70 when the AWD module broke down he only got a ABS fault message.
    NO(R)WAY

Quote Originally Posted by No(r)way View Post
    On my friends XC70 when the AWD module broke down he only got a ABS fault message.
    That's what I'm thinking. I recall a posting here last year with the same question. I'll see if I can dig up the result.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast